planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm 

Sky have chosen Alistair Griffin's Just Drive as there opening music which is a great choice in my opinion!!

(Altho you could say that they got the idea from the BBC as they used it to close the 2010 season)

still great though!!

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... -Sports-F1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:29 pm 

The BBC were always going to win this battle tbh. Nothing beats The Chain IMO.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm 

Seems a bit sentimental for an opening titles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm 

But a good effort imho 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm 

It's not a 'great' track but it is a great track...if you get my meaning lol.

Definitely deserved a bit more exposure, glad it's going to get it. I agree it's maybe a bit sentimental though, much better for the end of the season than the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm 

What a dull choice, oh well bigger things to worry about!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:42 pm 

Don't like the remix of the track

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm 

Having watched the video, it's actually a brilliant opening sequence. Much better than the BBC's disappointing CGI guff.

F1 history is fantastic...why have some daft computer generated cars when you could have the real thing. I don't even have Sky but watching that made me want to get it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

[quote="Adaemus"]Having watched the video, it's actually a brilliant opening sequence. Much better than the BBC's disappointing CGI guff.

that made me lol !!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 pm 

If battle lines are being drawn (and I'm going by what BBC did last year)... it's a tie

The Sky video montage beats the BBC's CGI mess, but when it comes to music, the Chain is synonymous with Formula 1 so Sky were never gonna win that one.

I admit on first view, the music did nothing for me, but I think it'll grow on me over the year

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 pm 

What a load of guff that was. Actually made me cringe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm 

As much as i like the song, i have to wonder how more cool this would have been with 'The Chain'....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm 

You cant beat the chain but the music and title vid look really good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm 

They copied me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGBtzpjXj4) :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm 

Loved seeing all the old footage but not so keen on the music. Oh well can't have everything...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

Too Sentimental. The chain and the lift me up remix used by Itv were much more suited. Viewers want action not Eastenders!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 pm 

I concur with those who have observed that the BBC have the better music, but actually prefer this as an opening video.

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing somebody take that footage and pairing it with The Chain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:13 pm 

Not bad but not Great if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:22 pm 

Could have been a lot worse but without The Chain it was never going to beat the BBC effort.

The song I think would be better as end credits than opening ones.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Like the use of old footage but they could have done it much better. More racing and less 'hero shots' aimed at emotionally manipulating us, it's too much with the cheesey chune. Still better than the generic CGathon on BBC.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm 

Megamoss wrote:

And you're surprised? Sky's sports coverage is full of over-the-top, sensationalist, cringeworthy nonsense. I anticipate every race day being declared 'Super Mega Awesome Grand Slam Sunday' or something along those lines.

David Mitchell put it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm 

BBC used this music before as one their play out tracks. I think it 'borrows heavily' from Feeder's Feeling A Moment.

Like Sky's montage of heritage footage - reminds me of the BBC title sequence from the 80s.

Sky used the intro to Dire Straights Money For Nothin on one of their shows and it worked well with the footage - I'm surprised they didn't use that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

j man wrote:
Megamoss wrote:

And you're surprised? Sky's sports coverage is full of over-the-top, sensationalist, cringeworthy nonsense. I anticipate every race day being declared 'Super Mega Awesome Grand Slam Sunday' or something along those lines.

Then you have watched nothing of their promo stuff. I too feared it would be shiny and in your face but it's been nothing of the sort. It's been understated and real. Seems to me it's all going to pitched with the right message. And the video above just backs that up. The choice of music was never going to compete with the chain but the footage is spot on. People really need to get over there Sky issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
j man wrote:
Megamoss wrote:

Then you have watched nothing of their promo stuff. I too feared it would be shiny and in your face but it's been nothing of the sort. It's been understated and real. Seems to me it's all going to pitched with the right message. And the video above just backs that up. The choice of music was never going to compete with the chain but the footage is spot on. People really need to get over there Sky issue.

I don't really have a major objection to Sky, I do have a Sky Sports subscription after all. I don't like their sports coverage. I'll admit I haven't seen much of the promo stuff but I have seen the way they cover every single other sport and thus have no reason to believe that the F1 coverage will be any different. Come on, advertising a cricket match using a silly deep voice similar to that used to promote Hollywood action films is just cringeworthy. And what they've done to snooker is nothing short of blasphemous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 pm 

j man wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
j man wrote:
Megamoss wrote:

I don't really have a major objection to Sky, I do have a Sky Sports subscription after all. I don't like their sports coverage. I'll admit I haven't seen much of the promo stuff but I have seen the way they cover every single other sport and thus have no reason to believe that the F1 coverage will be any different. Come on, advertising a cricket match using a silly deep voice similar to that used to promote Hollywood action films is just cringeworthy. And what they've done to snooker is nothing short of blasphemous.

It's Barry Hearn that has done that to snooker. You might also look at how much prize money has gone up since he took over. Snooker would probably not even be on TV anymore if it wasn't for Hearn. Needs must.

And Skys cricket coverage is excellent. They have superb pundits and commentators. What exactly has advertising a cricket match with a deep voice got to do with coverage of the actual games themselve? The coverage of golf and rugby are another example. Excellent coverage with fantastic pundits and commentators. We now get to see an incredible amount of well produced and presented sport that a sport nut like me could have only dreamed about when I was younger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm 

That's not bad actually, did BBC use just drive in their credits recently? I recognise the song from somewhere.

I don't think there are enough modern F1 cars on it though, the BBC's intro sequence is all modern shaped F1 cars. I feel this is geared towards the hardcore fan, which is good for us not good for F1 on the whole imo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
j man wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
j man wrote:
Megamoss wrote:

It's Barry Hearn that has done that to snooker. You might also look at how much prize money has gone up since he took over. Snooker would probably not even be on TV anymore if it wasn't for Hearn. Needs must.

And Skys cricket coverage is excellent. They have superb pundits and commentators. What exactly has advertising a cricket match with a deep voice got to do with coverage of the actual games themselve? The coverage of golf and rugby are another example. Excellent coverage with fantastic pundits and commentators. We now get to see an incredible amount of well produced and presented sport that a sport nut like me could have only dreamed about when I was younger.

I think the track lacks punch, but the montage is great. I'm glad they are not taking the same approach they did with their football coverage. If you listen to Sky, football didn't exist until 1993 when sky got coverage of the premier league. At least this acknowledges the history of the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 pm 

Loved that song on the BBC 2010 Montage - not this remix - like others have said - lacks punch.

BBC CGi was poor.

ITV had the best in the mid 2000s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBy6YNTqx4k

They had some good early ones too 1997 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTd9k5orwlM&feature=related

and even 2000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2R8C-qZl0A&feature=related

I feel like an ITV fanboy now!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 pm 

I prefer the Beeb's CGI guff to be honest - I found Sky's far too sentimental. Not to mention that I've hated that song ever since I've heard it. There's no energy to it at all, it just isn't right to soundtrack F1.

Nothing was ever going to beat The Chain but surely they could have had a better stab at it than that....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm 

Well, I really like it. I've watched it about 10 times now, so it gets the thumbs up from me :nod: It's certainly got me excited about the weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 pm 

This isn't going to be too popular, but I'm done with the chain. It was great in it's era, but that was in the 20th century.

Sky is the new beginning for me, Formula 1, for me anyway, is now the most exciting, dramatic, technological, and jaw dropping sport in the world at the moment, and as they say, a change is as good as a rest, and I can't wait for Ted's magazine show on Friday.

Last edited by petef1 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 pm 

Instantly forgettable. Great montage, terrible song. Completely void of character and inspiration. I'm getting Sky installed on Friday and I'm looking forward to their coverage, but, that song has really disappointed me :frown:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm 

Jake won't be happy. Just Drive and the bloke who sings it are pet hobby-horses of his, ever since they used it on one of the BBC's races.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
Having watched the video, it's actually a brilliant opening sequence. Much better than the BBC's disappointing CGI guff.

F1 history is fantastic...why have some daft computer generated cars when you could have the real thing. I don't even have Sky but watching that made me want to get it!

:lol:
true story

Ciao Jules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hmmmm, I do agree with others. Good montage but totally wrong song choice, almost went to sleep :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 pm 

Ohh Nooooo :uhoh:

You may like the track, you may not. Thats fair enough.But this isn`t the right track for F1.
There are lyrics for a start and it`s gonna be played over and over. How long before we`re all sick of it.
Should have been something less erm.. well less drippy to be honest.
The footage is great but, it starts with old footage and this is F1 2012. It should be current right?
All in all, almost anything but this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

Obviously Sky were never going to beat The Chain, but I never expected it to be this bad...

The video is superb, no complaints there, I think it's a fantastic idea to use Formula 1's prestigious history in the titles, but the song is just dire.

It needs something with a bit more oomph behind it, maybe something like My Favorite Game by the Cardigans or Atomic by Blondie?

Last edited by Daytripper on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 pm 

music is a complete shiit - sentimental rubbish with expected lows and highs. very standard. Idiots. they could've done better. they have money to pay.

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 pm 

It's ok, didn't people react differently to when itv got the F1 coverage and they changed a lot of things. Sky apart from the fact you got to susribe to one of their sevices (hd or sports channel) they havn't changed much and are so far [i]doing a good job, We're get used to it. I still hear the old itv theme every now and then and I'm like they use to have that for their theme music![/i]

At the end of their F1 programme I'd like them to do 'my favourite game' by the Cardigans