planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Multi69 wrote:
Great play by Ferrari to get Kimi putting more pressure on Vettel.

I think that's more a condition of Vettel's contract, he wants Kimi to stay after all so I fail to see that as putting pressure on him more like look we've done as you asked now will you please sign the contract.

:thumbup:

At this point it is speculation. We don't know that.

It may well be the case of course

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:32 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Rumours of Hamilton's impending retirement gather momentum...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13137 ... berg-drama

You need to work on your reading comprehension if that's your conclusion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Multi69 wrote:

I think that's more a condition of Vettel's contract, he wants Kimi to stay after all so I fail to see that as putting pressure on him more like look we've done as you asked now will you please sign the contract.

It'll be nothing more than Ferrari looking at the driver market and deciding that Raikkonen is the best available driver for the role they want him to fill.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:21 am 

Rumour has it that Williams are interested in hiring Alonso for 2018:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a12096762/williams-may-have-offered-fernando-alonso-a-seat-for-2018/

Alonso's best bet is Renault. Williams has been struggling & don't know if Alonso could benefit a lot from this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 am 

Atleast they have Paddy Lowe. But they probably don't have the budget to be up there or stay up there during a whole season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:38 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Multi69 wrote:

It'll be nothing more than Ferrari looking at the driver market and deciding that Raikkonen is the best available driver for the role they want him to fill.

Seems unlikely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 am 

Breaking news: Apparently, Vettel has just re-signed for Ferrari.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6145 ... _contract/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a12096762/williams-may-have-offered-fernando-alonso-a-seat-for-2018/

Alonso's best bet is Renault. Williams has been struggling & don't know if Alonso could benefit a lot from this.

This to me would make no sense, Williams are slowly sliding down the grid plus they couldn't possibly pay Alonso the kind of money that he's use to unless Stroll dips into his pocket but why would he?

Even a contract for 1 year whilst Alonso tries and wait for a better seat still makes no sense why not just stay at McLaren, who are always going to have more potential than Williams anyway, on a 1 year contract.

If he has totally lost faith with Honda then like you say I would think that Renault would be his best option but then he would have to sign a multi-year contract with them, maybe his last contract, and give up on joining either Mercedes or Ferrari but to be fair those doors seem to be closed to him anyway.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 11th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 am 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Breaking news: Apparently, Vettel has just re-signed for Ferrari.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6145 ... _contract/

Interesting that includes Hamilton's possible retirement after 2018 so now I accept there is some smoke to the fire although in relation to this thread he's set to carry on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 am 

Seb staying on rumour, is it for one more year only?

Seb leaving at the end of 2018 doesn't make sense for Ferrari, as Kimi will probably retire too, which will leave them with two new drivers for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am 

Desert Storm wrote:

Seb leaving at the end of 2018 doesn't make sense for Ferrari, as Kimi will probably retire too, which will leave them with two new drivers for 2019.

Three years.

http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/extensio ... an-vettel/

Damn, I did not see that coming.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:23 am 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Desert Storm wrote:

Three years.

http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/extensio ... an-vettel/

Damn, I did not see that coming.

Nobody knows exactly what's in his contract though, there may be get out clauses?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 am 

wow 3 years, didn't see that coming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:35 am 

Three years! impressive work by Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 am 

So Seb doesn't hold all the cards after all

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:43 am 

No surprise. That was to be expected anyway - and after KRs extension logical.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

Three years makes sense for Seb since it will take him to the next engine regulation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:08 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Three years makes sense for Seb since it will take him to the next engine regulation.

Actually 3 years isn't great for Seb in that regard. It means he will have to sign a new contract beginning in the first year of the next engine regulations.

Ideally he would have a year to see who has got it right as Ferrari/Mercedes or whoever will want a long term commitment from him at the time and as a result he could sign for a team whose engine supplier gets it massively wrong for 2-3 years.

Hamilton's contract timeline is better suited to the next regulations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:38 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

This to me would make no sense, Williams are slowly sliding down the grid plus they couldn't possibly pay Alonso the kind of money that he's use to unless Stroll dips into his pocket but why would he?

Even a contract for 1 year whilst Alonso tries and wait for a better seat still makes no sense why not just stay at McLaren, who are always going to have more potential than Williams anyway, on a 1 year contract.

If he has totally lost faith with Honda then like you say I would think that Renault would be his best option but then he would have to sign a multi-year contract with them, maybe his last contract, and give up on joining either Mercedes or Ferrari but to be fair those doors seem to be closed to him anyway.

'Reading between the lines' of what Chandhok was saying, it seems his job would be to mentor Lance, and his dad would pay for it.
I wonder if Alonso may consider it for one year if there is nothing else and he is set on leaving Mclaren?

Alonso has said he wants a car capable of winning, but there are only 2 in F1, and he is not getting either of them this year, so plan 'B' and wait?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:58 pm 

moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

'Reading between the lines' of what Chandhok was saying, it seems his job would be to mentor Lance, and his dad would pay for it.
I wonder if Alonso may consider it for one year if there is nothing else and he is set on leaving Mclaren?

Alonso has said he wants a car capable of winning, but there are only 2 in F1, and he is not getting either of them this year, so plan 'B' and wait?

Yeah that's the only way it works financially, Alonso apparently has told the Spanish media that he will win races next year, I'm not quite sure what he's smoking?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm 

moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

There were 3 potential seats, 2 at Ferrari & 1 at Mercedes. If he didn't get 1 this year, I doubt he'll get for 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Yeah that's the only way it works financially, Alonso apparently has told the Spanish media that he will win races next year, I'm not quite sure what he's smoking?

Honda engine components?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:13 pm 

and did the Spanish media say that he said that it will be in F1 that he will be winning races?

There are other options other than just F1 likely available to him if he is... quite understandably... frustrated with McLaren's failures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:50 pm 

Yeah he clearly meant if he can't compete for wins in F1 he'l go to WEC or IndyCar so either way he'll be competing for wins.

Not that I believe him of course, drivers chat all manner of rubbish in contract silly season. Just yesterday I was watching Seb tell everyone with a perfectly straight face we'll hear nothing about his contract for two weeks lol.

One thing I read about the Alonso-McHonda situation is that Alonso wants them to switch to Renault power for him to continue there as he's completely had it with Honda. Brown said McLaren have tough decisions to make in the next two weeks.

To be honest and as daft as it may sound I'd choose Honda if I was them. Alonso is getting older, Stoff is getting warmed up nicely since Spain and was impressive again today and Norris is on the horizon.

Renault have 2 teams further up the pecking order and are trying another new concept next year. So unattractive all round that I don't know what Alo is thinking if true. He should know by now to do the bloody opposite of what he thinks is a good gamble.

EDIT Also I think it's a bluff. He knows how good the McLaren chassis is, otherwise he'd just sign for Renault, and I don't think he'll leave F1 for pastures new until he's 38/9 odd.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Actually 3 years isn't great for Seb in that regard. It means he will have to sign a new contract beginning in the first year of the next engine regulations.

Ideally he would have a year to see who has got it right as Ferrari/Mercedes or whoever will want a long term commitment from him at the time and as a result he could sign for a team whose engine supplier gets it massively wrong for 2-3 years.

I would be very surprised if Vettel has signed a deal that doesn't have an exit clause.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:41 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

I would be very surprised if Vettel has signed a deal that doesn't have an exit clause.

His current deal isn't the issue, it's the next one after his current deal runs out.

He will need to sign a deal with a get out clause after 1 year (at the end of 2021) which is possible of course, especially if he stays with Ferrari, but not something a team will want to do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:37 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Yeah he clearly meant if he can't compete for wins in F1 he'l go to WEC or IndyCar so either way he'll be competing for wins.

Not that I believe him of course, drivers chat all manner of rubbish in contract silly season. Just yesterday I was watching Seb tell everyone with a perfectly straight face we'll hear nothing about his contract for two weeks lol.

One thing I read about the Alonso-McHonda situation is that Alonso wants them to switch to Renault power for him to continue there as he's completely had it with Honda. Brown said McLaren have tough decisions to make in the next two weeks.

To be honest and as daft as it may sound I'd choose Honda if I was them. Alonso is getting older, Stoff is getting warmed up nicely since Spain and was impressive again today and Norris is on the horizon.

Renault have 2 teams further up the pecking order and are trying another new concept next year. So unattractive all round that I don't know what Alo is thinking if true. He should know by now to do the bloody opposite of what he thinks is a good gamble.

EDIT Also I think it's a bluff. He knows how good the McLaren chassis is, otherwise he'd just sign for Renault, and I don't think he'll leave F1 for pastures new until he's 38/9 odd.

I think his best bet now is Renault, take Palmer seat. Hulk did great today. Renault is getting better, and if we asume he will be faster than Hulk, he can fight for podiums and even wins, championships are out the equation unless you drive for the top 3 teams (even top 2), so get what you can at Renault and call it a career

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:35 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Honda engine components?

Good one. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 am 

Blake wrote:
and did the Spanish media say that he said that it will be in F1 that he will be winning races?

There are other options other than just F1 likely available to him if he is... quite understandably... frustrated with McLaren's failures.

Actually that's a good point, I guess I just don't envisage Alonso leaving F1 next season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 am 

Force India are not ruling a change to their driver line-up for 2018:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37198.html

Perez's contract not yet signed could provide relief to him as I can't see him gel again with Ocon for 2018. He could go to Williams or Renault.

Would Wehrlein come to FI or if Perez goes to Williams or Renault, would FI be bold enough to try luring Alonso?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am 

PRFAN wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

I think his best bet now is Renault, take Palmer seat. Hulk did great today. Renault is getting better, and if we asume he will be faster than Hulk, he can fight for podiums and even wins, championships are out the equation unless you drive for the top 3 teams (even top 2), so get what you can at Renault and call it a career

tbh I think Renault is arguably doing worse than Honda. They were in the hybrid program right from the start, but haven't managed to nail the PU yet. Even though they are better than Honda at this moment in time, relative to their starting point they are pretty woeful. Max has done fewer laps than Alonso I believe! And they only have 23 more points than McHonda do. Can't see them being a better bet than Honda in the long term, that's for sure, either for Alonso or McLaren. If they haven't managed to get it right by now, they never will IMO. Honda at least have the excuse that they've been having to play catch up all the time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 am 

seems like Renault aren't too confident in themselves, either. Looks like they are ruling out Alonso for next year:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-renault-return-too-early-abiteboul-946433/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:41 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Force India are not ruling a change to their driver line-up for 2018:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37198.html

Perez's contract not yet signed could provide relief to him as I can't see him gel again with Ocon for 2018. He could go to Williams or Renault.

Would Wehrlein come to FI or if Perez goes to Williams or Renault, would FI be bold enough to try luring Alonso?

Perez turned down Renault last season because he was holding out for a Ferrari seat, I think he has to be thinking now that the Ferrari ship has sailed for him, if the Renault seat is available for him again I think this time he will take it, he can see how much they have improved and they are a factory team with better resources than Force India.

Perez going to Renault then solves the Wehrlein problem for Mercedes, I think it's nailed on that he would go to Force India.

Regarding Alonso Force India can't afford him plus would Alonso want to drive for a under financed midfield team?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 am 

Zoue wrote:
seems like Renault aren't too confident in themselves, either. Looks like they are ruling out Alonso for next year:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-renault-return-too-early-abiteboul-946433/

Yes is this not old news from last year that Renault have recently repeated?

They gave themselves a 3 year plan to be competitive and have said all along that they wouldn't be ready for a driver like Alonso until 2019.

At least Renault are being realistic about future success unlike McLaren Honda.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:

This could mean Alonso no more in F1 in 2018?

A move to Williams seems ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:

This is probably why Alonso is putting pressure on McLaren to ditch Honda otherwise he has to bite the bullet for 2018.

What I mean by biting the bullet is that if he leaves McLaren then he may need a stop gap solution which involves a pay cut, McLaren are the only team that will pay him big wages.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:

This is probably why Alonso is putting pressure on McLaren to ditch Honda otherwise he has to bite the bullet for 2018.

What I mean by biting the bullet is that if he leaves McLaren then he may need a stop gap solution which involves a pay cut, McLaren are the only team that will pay him big wages.

No doubt, he deserves a big salary but this reason is also a deciding factor for most to hire him or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I think he would drive a good car for a fraction of what he's charging McLaren for his time

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I think he would drive a good car for a fraction of what he's charging McLaren for his time

First of all what would you determine as being a good car?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:

First of all what would you determine as being a good car?

A car that reaches the chequered flag....
A car whose DRS allows overtakes on the straights...
A car that has components that last for a few race weekends....