18. Jolyon Palmer 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
20. Pascal Wehrein 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 169
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:19 pm 

For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Ocon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 pm 

Given car - and starting position - Ricciardo and daylight - especially seeing Max in same car wasn't able to move through field in same way

Last edited by F1Oz on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm 

Ricciardo, Ocon and Perez.

UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Ocon

+1

Ricciardo, Perez and Ocon.

Dan the man ....daylight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:27 pm 

The Palmer vote puzzles me somewhat ...

Last edited by zaar on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:27 pm 

If we forget about the diesel cars it's obviously Ricciardo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:36 pm 

Lewis, Danny, Seb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

How the hell Seb?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:43 pm 

F1Oz wrote:
How the hell Seb?

To be fair overtook 3 cars, I didn't vote for him but he arguably did more than Hamilton who has a lot of votes (understandably).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:45 pm 

Ricciardo was definitely the standout performer for me. Good race pace and some superb overtaking moves.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:48 pm 

Ricciardo and a band aid vote for Vandoorne, who was doing quite well until Honda called it a day.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:55 pm 

F1Oz wrote:
How the hell Seb?

He came from 6th to 3rd and maximised his result.
Why not Seb?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:56 pm 

Ricciardo, Hamilton and Stroll for me, Stroll getting his elbows out with Massa felt a bit coming of age/passing of the torch kinda deal. Good race for Team Willy. Danny boy staking a strong claim for best overtaker on the grid, Mansell-esque today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 pm 

I'm a bit surprised about the quantity of Hamilton votes or the lack of Bottas votes. Their pace was pretty close this race. Bottas certainly didn't seem weaker in one stint compared to the other this race. I shouldn't give Bottas too much credit but he did have to do several overtakes and one or two of them did look rather impressive. But he only had to do these due to his weak performance in qualifying. During the race, Both Hamilton and Bottas kept getting the fastest lap. The gap between them was hardly any bigger at the end of the race than it was earlier on. About 2 seconds bigger maybe. But Bottas always looked to be within 5 seconds the whole race once they before and after they had both pitted. For the driver of the day, I think Either Hamilton should have a few less, or Bottas should have a few more. I'm not actually sure if I will vote either though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:31 pm 

Lewis,Dan and Vandoorne.

Stoff's getting up to speed now and EB reckons he's only a tenth away from Alo when things are normal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I'm a bit surprised about the quantity of Hamilton votes or the lack of Bottas votes. Their pace was pretty close this race. Bottas certainly didn't seem weaker in one stint compared to the other this race. I shouldn't give Bottas too much credit but he did have to do several overtakes and one or two of them did look rather impressive. But he only had to do these due to his weak performance in qualifying. During the race, Both Hamilton and Bottas kept getting the fastest lap. The gap between them was hardly any bigger at the end of the race than it was earlier on. About 2 seconds bigger maybe. But Bottas always looked to be within 5 seconds the whole race once they before and after they had both pitted. For the driver of the day, I think Either Hamilton should have a few less, or Bottas should have a few more. I'm not actually sure if I will vote either though.

Lewis was completely cruising though, he barely broke sweat.

Bottas got the car back to where it belonged and didn't make a dent in him so it's hard to get votes for that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm 

I forgot to vote after writing that lol, votes added.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

The Mercedes cars were utterly dominant on Sunday. Once the leaders got things sorted out, they turned the engines down and just cruised. And thus Bottas was not allowed to race Hamilton. Although just finishing any Formula One race is an achievement, and winning is a superb achievement, their result is watered down by the simple fact the car wont the race. Thus the driver of the day goes to the one who passed a lot of cars and punched above his weight (again), Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Neither driver was going all out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 pm 

If a driver isn't trying (cruising) how can they be 'driver' of the race? Perhaps there should be a 'in the dominant car and he happens to be good/my favourite' category.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 pm 

Ocon, Ricciardo, Hamilton, Verstappen

also strong: Stroll, Magnussen

Disappointing
Räikkönen - how can you start ahead of Vettel ending that much behind and with a car in between - despite Vettel's mistake and troubles? Really a good choice by and for Ferrrari 2018 .... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:16 pm 

simonr23 wrote:
If a driver isn't trying (cruising) how can they be 'driver' of the race? Perhaps there should be a 'in the dominant car and he happens to be good/my favourite' category.

I agree. To me a driver of the day should have to be driving on the limit for a good portion of a race. Usually those who give Hamilton DoD after races like this are the ones who complained that Vettel didn't deserve them back in his Red Bull days due to having a rocketship and vice-versa. Literally any driver on the grid could have set the lap times Hamilton and Bottas did had they been in the Mercedes. DoD for me goes to Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 pm 

Ricciardo, easily. He was flawless in the race, and made his strategy work where I didn't think he could.

Lewis is hard to gauge, but he wasn't significantly faster than Bottas on track. He might well have been coasting - I think he was, in fact - but I'm not going to give him DotD on that basis.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 pm 

F1Oz wrote:
Given car - and starting position - Ricciardo and daylight - especially seeing Max in same car wasn't able to move through field in same way

This is a problem for both Red Bull drivers, and particularly Max who is still developing. Two great drivers held to the standard of the other rather than being considered against the whole field. I suspect Max suffered just a little from the pressure of being Ricciardo's team mate today, especially once the race has settled.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 pm 

Ricciardo and ocon were who stood out for me. There were a bunch of solid drives but only those two performed at an elite level imo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:48 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Ricciardo, easily. He was flawless in the race, and made his strategy work where I didn't think he could.

Lewis is hard to gauge, but he wasn't significantly faster than Bottas on track. He might well have been coasting - I think he was, in fact - but I'm not going to give him DotD on that basis.

It is certainly not a good advert for F1 when two drivers at the front are able to turn down their engines and coast to a 1-2 finish with more than half the race remaining.

Hamilton did OK in qualifying yesterday, but he did nothing today to warrant so much support for DOTD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:56 am 

I'm going with Ricciardo and Ocon. Stroll and Vandoorne were also considered for the third vote, but since I couldn't decide between them, I left both off.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 am 

There shouldn't be any doubt at all.

Ricciardo started in 16th, didn't actually make any positions up off the start then proceeded to carve his way into the top 10 in only a handful of laps.

He then continued to the top 5 making some accomplished drivers and a former world champion look like they were standing still.

He did all of this on a harder tyre than those around him and with low downforce (how else was he topping the trap speeds).

The strategy was smart and he executed it to perfection. His overtaking over the past few years has equalled or bettered any driver I can think of... he is just so clean and decisive.

Ocon shows promise and did well, but he wasn't in the same league. Hamilton just cruised - the Mercedes has never had another car in front of it at Monza in the turbo hybrid era.

Verstappen gets the better of Ricciardo in qualifying (this year at least) but he just doesn't have the race craft of Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 am 

MasterRacer wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It is certainly not a good advert for F1 when two drivers at the front are able to turn down their engines and coast to a 1-2 finish with more than half the race remaining.

Hamilton did OK in qualifying yesterday, but he did nothing today to warrant so much support for DOTD.

Hamilton did ok in quali? I actually think he schooled the entire field on Saturday with how to drive in the wet. You got some rose tinted ferrari glasses on there?

When ur nearest rival is 10+ seconds behind you and has had to slow up by 0.5sec a lap because he has broken his steering due to running off the track, you can afford not to drive at full wack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am 

angrypirate wrote:
When ur nearest rival is 10+ seconds behind you and has had to slow up by 0.5sec a lap because he has broken his steering due to running off the track, you can afford not to drive at full wack.

Which is exactly the reason why it's not worthy of a "Driver of the Day" award.

He didn't drive badly, but there was nothing spectacular about cruising to a win.

There were far more spectacular drives that ended with results off the podium.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 pm 

oz_karter wrote:
angrypirate wrote:

He didn't drive badly, but there was nothing spectacular about cruising to a win.

I agree that there were more spectacular drives - Ocon and Ricciardo, but I nearly always also vote for the race winner as well because being 1st nearly always means they did most things right (there are occasionally exceptions to this). In this case, Lewis hooked up qualy (in fact, schooled the rest of the field) and then put in a fast first half of the race then cruised the second half. Not his fault that his opposition were just not there today (had the Red Bulls not had grid penalties then he might have had some competition today).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:43 pm 

145 votes and not one for Kimi - that has to be a record?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:50 pm 

TedStriker wrote:

I just don't know how anyone can be a Kimi fan these days. He is just sooooo off race after race. He would have to double his level of performance to be a mere shell of his former self. The lack of any votes for him is indeed amazing and indicates that the time may have come where Kimi's large fan base may finally be reaching the end of the rope with him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
TedStriker wrote:

I just don't know how anyone can be a Kimi fan these days. He is just sooooo off race after race. He would have to double his level of performance to be a mere shell of his former self. The lack of any votes for him is indeed amazing and indicates that the time may have come where Kimi's large fan base may finally be reaching the end of the rope with him.

Maybe, just maybe, people don't choose who they support based on their success?

Good job too. Hull City wouldn't have any fans...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:17 pm 

TedStriker wrote:

He lost against Bottas at the start and Ricciardo at the end. He's in at least the second best car and sometimes the first yet Ricciardo done him in this race and is doing him in the wdc in clearly the third best car. We all get old at different rates and Kimi has not aged well compared to his peers Alonso and Button but that also might be lifestyle related as Kimi was known for knocking back the drinks in his youth and it just may have caught up with him now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Ricciardo, Hamilton and Stroll for me, Stroll getting his elbows out with Massa felt a bit coming of age/passing of the torch kinda deal. Good race for Team Willy. Danny boy staking a strong claim for best overtaker on the grid, Mansell-esque today.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:47 am 

angrypirate wrote:
oz_karter wrote:
angrypirate wrote:

I agree that there were more spectacular drives - Ocon and Ricciardo, but I nearly always also vote for the race winner as well because being 1st nearly always means they did most things right (there are occasionally exceptions to this). In this case, Lewis hooked up qualy (in fact, schooled the rest of the field) and then put in a fast first half of the race then cruised the second half. Not his fault that his opposition were just not there today (had the Red Bulls not had grid penalties then he might have had some competition today).

I think most of what Hamilton did right on Sunday was his move from McLaren to Mercedes in 2013 :lol:

I think he had a Driver of the Weekend performance, but Sunday was all Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 am 

Herb wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
TedStriker wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, people don't choose who they support based on their success?

Good job too. Hull City wouldn't have any fans...

:lol: