planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Indy Car: GP at the Glen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am 

Image indycar.com

Watkins Glen became a huge Daytime Soap for the Indy Car drivers. Takuma Sato took 4 years to get his 2nd win. Marco Andretti: Almost 5. But Alexander Rossi survived another fuel-related problem going flag-to-flag to win the Indy Car GP at the Glen. His 1st win in 15 months. His 1st road course win going along with his Indy 500 last year. He recently signed a 2-year extension right after Andretti Autosport have decided to remain with Honda.

On Saturday, Rossi would swipe Scott Dixon at the last minute to take his maiden pole of the season. At the start, the race was declared wet, but only for 1 lap before going to the pits for slicks. Once the race got started, it was Helio Castroneves making his pass out of the boot with his red-walls, Rossi had all black walls. James Hinchcliffe only lasted 5 laps after his gearbox got stuck in 1st gear thus bringing the 1st yellow. That brought in the drivers for service with most of the drivers switching to red-walls to meet the regulations. Rossi's pitstall had a huge problem with the fuel hose as it reported that it had a leak. Rossi did not had a full tank while leading the race. So he had to comeback to get a complete refill along with a tire change thus giving Castroneves the lead. The turning point of the race was when Takuma Sato who was 4 laps down due to an electrical issue, spun at the Toe 2 laps later at the half-way point. The leaders came to the pits for service. During the pit sequence, It was Spencer Pigot, Max Chilton and JR Hildebrand who were out of sequence. Rossi sat in 4th with a full tank.

On lap 45, drama unfolded on the final pit-stop where Penske teammates Will Power and points leader Josef Newgarden entered the pits. Power beat Newgarden to the pit exit. Then Newgarden lost control of his car bouncing him to the wall before being struck by Sebastian Bourdais from behind damaging the bottom pod. Tony Kannan - who had a nightmarish Saturday during qualifying - also struck the wall ending his day. But Rossi would not be challenged. Dixon came in 2nd by .9 seconds followed by Rossi's teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay. Castroneves finished 4th followed by Graham Rahal. Power, Charlie Kimball, Chilton, Simon Pagenaud, and Carlos Munoz completed the Top 10. But is was a nightmare for Newgarden whose lead of 31 points over Dixon took a 28-point nosedive (560-557). Pagenaud and Castroneves remain in contention for the Sonoma finale where the Double Points will be awarded. Power, Rossi and Rahal are all but mathematically eliminated.

Report:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/09/09- ... race-early

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... esults.pdf

Last edited by Placid on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 am 

Good for Rossi!
I missed the race and forgot to set the DVR so need to see if I can find it on-demand or rebroadcast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 am 

Good race; I don't like to wish misfortune on any driver, but since Newgarden's error was all his own doing... 8)

Hoping for a strong race from Dixon or Castroneves at the final. Also hoping that double points doesn't decide the championship! :thumbup:

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm 

Dixon has got to be the favorite now. The way he did at Watkins Glen and a fairly similar track to Sonoma the Honda package seems to look really attractive right now. He has the right package, he is good at that track and only 3 points down and a double points race. He has to be the hands on favorite. I think he has won there 3 or 4 times in IndyCar and once in IndyLights (if I remember correctly).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Good for Rossi!
I missed the race and forgot to set the DVR so need to see if I can find it on-demand or rebroadcast.

Indycar has their own YouTube channel and rebroadcast all races.

Courtesy of Indycar

Unlike Formula One, many race series are very positive on social media. Such series as Indycar, Blancpain, and IMSA put up their races on Youtube soon after the actual race.

I did watch the race, and it was very interesting, with many position changes. Newgarden sure dug a deep hole, and now the last race of the season will decide the title. Personally I was gutted when Hinchliffe's transmission decided to do an uncommanded downshift, and probably tore the entire drivetrain into little metal fragments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:54 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Good for Rossi!

Indycar has their own YouTube channel and rebroadcast all races.

Courtesy of Indycar

Unlike Formula One, many race series are very positive on social media. Such series as Indycar, Blancpain, and IMSA put up their races on Youtube soon after the actual race.

I did watch the race, and it was very interesting, with many position changes. Newgarden sure dug a deep hole, and now the last race of the season will decide the title. Personally I was gutted when Hinchliffe's transmission decided to do an uncommanded downshift, and probably tore the entire drivetrain into little metal fragments.

Thanks Blinky! :thumbup: