planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 am 

No it wasn't that bad. I'd say it was a very "normal" F1 race. Someone dominated, action back in the field, a 'driver of the day' who gave us some excitement, at least one disappointment, all pretty normal stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Not sure I buy that to be honest. It would defeat the point of bringing the upgrade early to Spa and putting yourself at a disadvantage with having an older PU at the end of the season if you weren't getting some benefit from it.

Nothing wrong either way of course but I just don't see the point of adhering to a rule you don't have to. And considering what the rule is basically about it would be a strange time, right in the middle of a tight fight, to suddenly grow a conscience about oil burning.

Yeah I'm with you on that 100%. Bottom line is they would be perfectly entitled to run at the higher limit, which is supposed to give a benefit after all. So I don't see any benefit to Mercedes to running at the lower, inferior one with a new unit if they didn't have to. I'm filing this one in the flying pigs folder

Well, it was a spec that was meant to have been introduced at Suzuka, so it's not beyond reason that it was designed to the new limit from the ground up. The reasoning given that it was introduced before Spa was because of the upgrade to the way the ERS works, giving it more power to use at top speed at the end of the straights, which helped massively at Spa and would have done at Monza had Ferrari been at the races.

It'll all come out in the end, but it's a fairly stupid thing to lie about given that it's one in the eye for the other Manufacturers if they did squeeze it in before Belgium to keep the old oil limit.