planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: 2018 French Grand Prix
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 am 

Does anyone know which circuit layout F1 will use yet? Anyone have any thought's on the track? I was just about old enough to know what F1 was the last race we had at Paul Ricard so I can't say I remember any details!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:23 am 

Is the chicane not baked in? And everything else is as normal

My guess is utter boredom. I hope I'm wrong

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm 

I hope they won't restrict themselves to the shortened track, post-de Angelis. They should try the full track, and never enable DRS; they won't get a better track to show young fans what racing used to be, and that modern F1 cars can indeed slipstream on a full-size track.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

Apparently the full length circuit sadly with the chicane on the Mistral straight in use

https://www.gpfrance.com/en/paul-ricard-circuit/the-circuit/

I liked it better than Magny Cours but i'm not sure how much i'll enjoy this layout. The chicane neuters the Signes corner somewhat. For me, Signes corner, at the end of the full length Mistral straight, is a similar corner to 130R, the Parabolica in Italy and the old Parabolica in Mexico.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Last edited by Jezza13 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 pm 

Thanks Jezza. Bummer.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 pm 

Might as well turn on the sprinklers. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 pm 

Onboard computer sim lap

TV view of Formula Renault race

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
The chicane neuters the Signes corner somewhat. For me, Signes corner, at the end of the full length Mistral straight, is a similar corner to 130R, the Parabolica in Italy and the old Parabolica in Mexico.

Modern cars have already neutered all of those corners to a greater or lesser extent (except in Mexico, where it was just killed). 130R is easy flat, and the Parabolica is nowhere near the challenge it used to be.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 pm 

I'm looking forward to France's return to the calendar.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:19 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
The chicane neuters the Signes corner somewhat. For me, Signes corner, at the end of the full length Mistral straight, is a similar corner to 130R, the Parabolica in Italy and the old Parabolica in Mexico.

Modern cars have already neutered all of those corners to a greater or lesser extent (except in Mexico, where it was just killed). 130R is easy flat, and the Parabolica is nowhere near the challenge it used to be.

Any corner with tarmac run off has been neutered. It's the single worse thing to happen to the sport. it changes the entire approach to a corner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:06 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Any corner with tarmac run off has been neutered. It's the single worse thing to happen to the sport. it changes the entire approach to a corner.

Arguably true, but it's not what I'm talking about. 130R is just like the Curve Grande at Monza; it was once a mighty corner, but now a modern F1 car can take it flat with no risk. That wouldn't change if concrete walls were put right next to it - nobody is close to the limit on those corners anymore.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Arguably true, but it's not what I'm talking about. 130R is just like the Curve Grande at Monza; it was once a mighty corner, but now a modern F1 car can take it flat with no risk. That wouldn't change if concrete walls were put right next to it - nobody is close to the limit on those corners anymore.

True but I feel that's progress rather than a bad thing. As those corners become easy flat others become the balls out decision corners. Like Copse at Silverstone for example. The problem is the difficulty is reduced by the tarmac run off. You may as well keep your foot in lap after lap and run a few meters wide occasionally.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:42 pm 

I'm happy France is back, but what a blah track, flat with acres of paved run off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
I'm happy France is back, but what a blah track, flat with acres of paved run off.

I don't mind the flatness. I think it has an interesting combination of corners. TBH I'm pleased with anything outside the usual Tilke formula of long straight stop, long straight top, tricky technical section, long straight stop and repeat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:21 pm 

What an eyesore this track is, watching that Formuka Eurocup race. The backdrop is pleasing, and there absolutely should be a GP in France, but this place? It couldn’t be more sterile. The layout isn’t bad at all, but unless the camera angles improve, it’s diffixukt to decipher anything with the blue painted lines dominating the landscape. Was never a fan of Magny Cours, either, but this is so blah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm 

Cold Gin wrote:
What an eyesore this track is, watching that Formuka Eurocup race. The backdrop is pleasing, and there absolutely should be a GP in France, but this place? It couldn’t be more sterile. The layout isn’t bad at all, but unless the camera angles improve, it’s diffixukt to decipher anything with the blue painted lines dominating the landscape. Was never a fan of Magny Cours, either, but this is so blah.

Indeed. Of all the races I've watched on TV from Paul Ricard in recent years, I've always hated the camera angles that have been in use. Really hoping they improve them for F1's return.