planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 665
http://redbullracing.redbull.com/articl ... disruption

Still looks like a vacuum cleaner at the front.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:47 am
Posts: 15
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
macca84 wrote:
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


One kind of wonders what's even the point of a launch if it's not even a livery launch anymore. Car will change between now and Australia, livery will change... What's the point?

But I DO love that livery. Wish they'd actually race it!

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6531
Location: Mumbai, India
Here it is:





Love the colours!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6531
Location: Mumbai, India
owenmahamilton wrote:
http://redbullracing.redbull.com/article/appetite-disruption

Still looks like a vacuum cleaner at the front.


Yeah. Hope it cleans away the competition!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 312
Location: Bristol, UK
Looks fast....

Guess it depends how much it'll be held back by that Renault engine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7353
mds wrote:
macca84 wrote:
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


One kind of wonders what's even the point of a launch if it's not even a livery launch anymore. Car will change between now and Australia, livery will change... What's the point?

But I DO love that livery. Wish they'd actually race it!

It does look very good however black/silver based liveries can get boring quickly. I'm a big fan of black/grey/dark blue for road cars but I prefer race liveries to be brighter and more colorful/distinctive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1822
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:
macca84 wrote:
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


One kind of wonders what's even the point of a launch if it's not even a livery launch anymore. Car will change between now and Australia, livery will change... What's the point?

But I DO love that livery. Wish they'd actually race it!

It does look very good however black/silver based liveries can get boring quickly. I'm a big fan of black/grey/dark blue for road cars but I prefer race liveries to be brighter and more colorful/distinctive.


If every car was this way, it'd get boring. I think this would really stand out. Disappointed it isn't the race livery.

And as another poster mentioned, what's the point? The car will change... really this is usually a livery reveal (unless we have a crazy rule change, like we got with all the d*ck noses).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:07 am
Posts: 62
I hope they stick with a similar livery to last year. That one looked stunning...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 230
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Another camouflaged unveiling... or is it a semi-unveiling?

_________________
Short-time member, Life-Long Fan from 1965 -- More than 550 Grand Prix recorded since 1982 (all but 3), and counting...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3115



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9256
It's like it's constantly face-palming itself.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1001

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1001
UnlikeUday wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
http://redbullracing.redbull.com/article/appetite-disruption

Still looks like a vacuum cleaner at the front.


Yeah. Hope it cleans away the competition!



:thumbup:

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6531
Location: Mumbai, India
The car at Silverstone for some running:
Image
Source - http://e2.365dm.com/18/02/16-9/20/red-b ... 0219132025

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7353
Ennis wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:
macca84 wrote:
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


One kind of wonders what's even the point of a launch if it's not even a livery launch anymore. Car will change between now and Australia, livery will change... What's the point?

But I DO love that livery. Wish they'd actually race it!

It does look very good however black/silver based liveries can get boring quickly. I'm a big fan of black/grey/dark blue for road cars but I prefer race liveries to be brighter and more colorful/distinctive.


If every car was this way, it'd get boring. I think this would really stand out. Disappointed it isn't the race livery.

And as another poster mentioned, what's the point? The car will change... really this is usually a livery reveal (unless we have a crazy rule change, like we got with all the d*ck noses).

I guess but looking at the on track pictures I feel my fear is confirmed. It looks great against the white background in the release pictures but on the track it just looks dull IMO. I'd prefer they stick with last year's livery personally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4798
I like the testing liveries. It allows them to do something a little different maybe have a little fun with it. Plus it gives you something else to look forward to when the race livery revealed.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1312
The one livery change I really like is that the driver number is much larger and moved forward onto the slope of the nose.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4824
Still got an S duct. Nice take on the Ferrari sidepod idea, giving it a very Red Bull-esque aggressive packaging slant. Those are some tiny sidepods. I like the livery too but we all know they'll switch back to the norm for the season. The trucks and team kit are all old design colours.

Engine sounds sweet.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm
Posts: 35
Location: USA
For someone technically savvier than I, does it really serve a purpose to try and camouflage parts of the car at an unveil? I mean, it's a picture. If competitors want to see more they can just click on a video. It just seems superfluous to me.

_________________
"IF is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, IF is F1 spelled backwards." - Murray Walker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1312
Super Aguri Fun Time wrote:
For someone technically savvier than I, does it really serve a purpose to try and camouflage parts of the car at an unveil? I mean, it's a picture. If competitors want to see more they can just click on a video. It just seems superfluous to me.


It does. I agree that other teams can decipher enough from grainy photos and dark paint to learn the shape and function of most components. But some parts do get by, they are almost impossible to discern until the cars are fully revealed in the first pre-season test. And even then, the cars are hidden away in the garage and zoom out of the pits to minimize the opportunity for cameras to get any good shots. Technically Formula One is an insanely competitive environment where a 1% gain is a major step up in performance. And since teams spend crazy amounts of money, it is worth the effort to attempt a disguise in the hope your competition remains one step behind.

Technically, the cars you see today in reveals will be quite changed by the time the first test at Barcelona. And the car you will see at season's end has been changed so much, technically it is not really the same car.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2980
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Super Aguri Fun Time wrote:
For someone technically savvier than I, does it really serve a purpose to try and camouflage parts of the car at an unveil? I mean, it's a picture. If competitors want to see more they can just click on a video. It just seems superfluous to me.


It does. I agree that other teams can decipher enough from grainy photos and dark paint to learn the shape and function of most components. But some parts do get by, they are almost impossible to discern until the cars are fully revealed in the first pre-season test. And even then, the cars are hidden away in the garage and zoom out of the pits to minimize the opportunity for cameras to get any good shots. Technically Formula One is an insanely competitive environment where a 1% gain is a major step up in performance. And since teams spend crazy amounts of money, it is worth the effort to attempt a disguise in the hope your competition remains one step behind.

Technically, the cars you see today in reveals will be quite changed by the time the first test at Barcelona. And the car you will see at season's end has been changed so much, technically it is not really the same car.


Yeah, take the Halo as an example. We've seen teams talking about being able to add fairings to it but of the three cars revealed so far, none have had anything other than the bog-standard Halo. You would assume that by the time they all roll out in the pit lane next Monday, we'll start seeing little aero details around the Halo, but even then any elements the teams don't want others to copy are going to be left off the car until towards the end of the second test, if not all the way until Melbourne. And that's just one small aspect of the car.

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x1, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 10th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 919
Every reveal so far has been quite underwhelming. Nothing exciting. I think we're onto another boring 'transition year' where halfway through the season we will be talking about future engine specs again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 1430
Is it next year for the new engines? They were without MGU-H?
Pretty cool the RB14, but the halo is meh, so ugly! What bothers me the most about it is that the cars no longer look agile, quick, sleek. They look heavy and clumpsy.

_________________
Winner of the [Charging Hamilton Trophy] !
Winner of the [Dominant Hamilton Trophy] !

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4824
Warheart01 wrote:
Is it next year for the new engines? They were without MGU-H?
Pretty cool the RB14, but the halo is meh, so ugly! What bothers me the most about it is that the cars no longer look agile, quick, sleek. They look heavy and clumpsy.


2021 for the new engine but they haven't nailed down the specifics yet.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Posts: 120
When do we get to see the output of these 'Filming' days?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5736
Location: Michigan, USA
It looks quick. But is that just because it's a Red Bull and we all expect that whatever Newey has done will work?

I like the little wings under the mirrors. I wonder if we're going to see that detail on any other cars.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm
Posts: 2367
Syholl wrote:
I hope they stick with a similar livery to last year. That one looked stunning...


Hmm, I wouldn't worry. Last year (or was it the year before) CH made all these noises about a radical makeover... and they produced another purpley-blue car with red and yellow bits on it...

But then, what did we expect?

_________________
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 703
Location: McKinney, TX
macca84 wrote:
damn thats a sexy paint scheme. hides the halo very well.

EDIT. and then i read article and thats not the race paint scheme. DAMMIT!


It also seems to hide the driver's helmet entirely too....which is another thing that will make id'g drivers harder. I'll get it used to it I guess, as we all will, but I didn't think it'd be this drastic. Maybe it's just this picture. The safety is more important anyway, I'm not going to be one of those "sky is falling" guys (I had a hard time as it was with the engine switch). It might be a bigger adjustment than I previously thought, though.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
ALESI wrote:
Syholl wrote:
I hope they stick with a similar livery to last year. That one looked stunning...


Hmm, I wouldn't worry. Last year (or was it the year before) CH made all these noises about a radical makeover... and they produced another purpley-blue car with red and yellow bits on it...

But then, what did we expect?


Nothing purple about the RB12 & RB13 to my recollection.

The big change Horner referred to was probably the matte, introduced for the RB12. And to be honest that had something very cool to it (and still has imo).

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Posts: 120
inky38 wrote:
When do we get to see the output of these 'Filming' days?


We'd at least get to see the crash :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5304
Yikes that halo device looks so hideous!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
sandman1347 wrote:
Yikes that halo device looks so hideous!


It does. On another note though, Ricciardo said he had absolutely no problems as far as visibility is concerned, he didn't really notice it was there as long as he was looking in front of him and to the sides. So for flat tracks no problem.

Still questions about tracks with steep elevation changes, like uphill on the Raidillon.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9256
mds wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Yikes that halo device looks so hideous!


It does. On another note though, Ricciardo said he had absolutely no problems as far as visibility is concerned, he didn't really notice it was there as long as he was looking in front of him and to the sides. So for flat tracks no problem.

Still questions about tracks with steep elevation changes, like uphill on the Raidillon.

Good point. Oh god I hope they won't have to do any changes to the track because of this...

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 1430
I hope it is quick, very quick!

_________________
Winner of the [Charging Hamilton Trophy] !
Winner of the [Dominant Hamilton Trophy] !

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Bull RB14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1001
Covalent wrote:
mds wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Yikes that halo device looks so hideous!


It does. On another note though, Ricciardo said he had absolutely no problems as far as visibility is concerned, he didn't really notice it was there as long as he was looking in front of him and to the sides. So for flat tracks no problem.

Still questions about tracks with steep elevation changes, like uphill on the Raidillon.

Good point. Oh god I hope they won't have to do any changes to the track because of this...


good point x2, there could be some blind spot issues. didn't think of that for elevation. also ricc did tap the wall after the short running upon reveal.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-ricciardo-rb14-damage-testing-1006864

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exediron, F1_Ernie, Google Adsense [Bot], sandman1347, TedStriker, Xink and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group