planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
No chance of beating Hamilton on equal cars? Did 2016 never happen?

I mentioned 'equal luck' too. Please read the posts on here fully. :-)

Yes. But, please humor me, how can you give equal luck???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Lord Crc wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
He quit because he didn't want his legacy being tainted when he knew he had no chance against Hamilton given equal machinery and equal luck.

I think that's a really unfair comment. Rosberg has said several times that Hamilton has more natural talent, and that his only chance is to work exceptionally hard. In the interview with Toto (IIRC) he mentions how he had to shut out everything else in his life to focus on his F1 performance, just to have a shot at the title.

That he didn't want to shut out his newborn baby growing up after having just achieved his life goal resonates completely with me.

He did a video where he explained all the things he had to change for the 2016 season in order to win the title. Even down to things like changing glove supplier (as the seams were annoying him!). He went to great lengths to beat Hamilton and it took it's toll, understandably. It's probably not that he couldn't do that again (coulda, woulda, shoulda of course); I see it more like the motivation to do that not being there anymore.

Yeah, and none of this would have mattered if Hamilton's engine didn't go pop in Malaysia. If his engine holds up, he would have finished 23 points ahead of Nico in the final standings, even including all of his other bad luck that he had over Rosberg that year.

I wonder how the points table would have looked if it was adjusted for luck. Maybe Hamilton being 100 points clear or something crazy like that. 2016 was a woeful season for Rosberg, he was a Tier Two or Three driver that stole a WDC like D Hill and J Villeneuve. The 2016 retirement happened to help preserve his reputation as possibly being a lower Tier One driver and therefore deserving of his WDC, and it seems to have worked as many people on here seem to think he was better than he actually was if you look at his results closely.

Rosberg had to obey team orders in Monaco, didn't he? Just an example, I do not want to start a whole debate, however if you want to play ifs and buts, you would have to account for everything. Luck is in the game, they all know it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 pm 

Covalent wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Lord Crc wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
He quit because he didn't want his legacy being tainted when he knew he had no chance against Hamilton given equal machinery and equal luck.

I think that's a really unfair comment. Rosberg has said several times that Hamilton has more natural talent, and that his only chance is to work exceptionally hard. In the interview with Toto (IIRC) he mentions how he had to shut out everything else in his life to focus on his F1 performance, just to have a shot at the title.

That he didn't want to shut out his newborn baby growing up after having just achieved his life goal resonates completely with me.

He did a video where he explained all the things he had to change for the 2016 season in order to win the title. Even down to things like changing glove supplier (as the seams were annoying him!). He went to great lengths to beat Hamilton and it took it's toll, understandably. It's probably not that he couldn't do that again (coulda, woulda, shoulda of course); I see it more like the motivation to do that not being there anymore.

Yeah, and none of this would have mattered if Hamilton's engine didn't go pop in Malaysia. If his engine holds up, he would have finished 23 points ahead of Nico in the final standings, even including all of his other bad luck that he had over Rosberg that year.

I wonder how the points table would have looked if it was adjusted for luck. Maybe Hamilton being 100 points clear or something crazy like that. 2016 was a woeful season for Rosberg, he was a Tier Two or Three driver that stole a WDC like D Hill and J Villeneuve. The 2016 retirement happened to help preserve his reputation as possibly being a lower Tier One driver and therefore deserving of his WDC, and it seems to have worked as many people on here seem to think he was better than he actually was if you look at his results closely.

source:giphy

Aaaaw, I like Di Caprio!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Lord Crc wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

Rosberg had to obey team orders in Monaco, didn't he? Just an example, I do not want to start a whole debate, however if you want to play ifs and buts, you would have to account for everything. Luck is in the game, they all know it.

It was Rosberg's fault for the team orders, he was holding Hamilton up by a ridiculous amount, as evidenced by the way Hamilton could pull clear by such a big margin after he got let through.

If Rosberg was competitive in this race, there almost certainly would have been no team orders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Pretty simple, points gained or lost being approximately equal over the season due to factors outside of the driver's control, e.g. Malaysia 2016 costing Hamilton 28 points vs Rosberg I believe). Luck does not need to be perfectly equal, just close enough. We aren't talking in perfect absolutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:16 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Pretty simple, points gained or lost being approximately equal over the season due to factors outside of the driver's control, e.g. Malaysia 2016 costing Hamilton 28 points vs Rosberg I believe). Luck does not need to be perfectly equal, just close enough. We aren't talking in perfect absolutes.

It's not as simple as that. If you want to play this game, you have to account that Hamilton was lucky that RB messed Ricciardo's pit stop and he took the lead. Luck is not only directly affecting you, others' luck can affect you too. It is a slippery slope to try and equate these things

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

It's not as simple as that. If you want to play this game, you have to account that Hamilton was lucky that RB messed Ricciardo's pit stop and he took the lead. Luck is not only directly affecting you, others' luck can affect you too. It is a slippery slope to try and equate these things

I never said to not account for the Ricci pit stop, it should all be included as much as is reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

I never said to not account for the Ricci pit stop, it should all be included as much as is reasonable.

What we have (painfully) found out in this forum, is that what is reasonable to one person is not reasonable to another. It is nigh impossible to get everyone agreeing on these things, especially in the ifs and buts scenarios.

Let alone the fact that you can't speak for Rosberg himself when you claim that he quit as he was afraid of Hamilton...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm 

After the Japanese grand prix in 2016, Rosberg had won 9 races to Hamilton's 6 (and Rosberg had let Hamilton past at Monaco for one of those 6 wins).
After Japan, Rosberg only had to finish second in the last 4 races to win the title and he took the sensible route to the Title.

Hamilton outbraked himself from the lead at the Mexican Grand Prix, slid off the track and drove straight to corner 3 from corner 1. He avoided ending up way down the field by doing that, but wasn't penalised. The World Championship battle was kept alive by the stewards' decision.

There are different ways to look at things.

Last edited by babararacucudada on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
What we have (painfully) found out in this forum, is that what is reasonable to one person is not reasonable to another. It is nigh impossible to get everyone agreeing on these things, especially in the ifs and buts scenarios.

Let alone the fact that you can't speak for Rosberg himself when you claim that he quit as he was afraid of Hamilton...

If someone wants to do more work at a greater depth to work out the true luck for 2016 then I would be more than happy to see what they come up with. For me, at a cursory glance it looks like Nico was very lucky, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong by more in depth analysis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:

And Massa would have comfortably won in 2008 if it hadn't been for his engine blowing in Hungary, if that's the way you want to look at it...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:40 pm 

Lord Crc wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

And Massa would have comfortably won in 2008 if it hadn't been for his engine blowing in Hungary, if that's the way you want to look at it...

Thread derailment incoming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm 

Lord Crc wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

And the Singapore Crashgate cost Massa even more points. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:41 pm 

babararacucudada wrote:
After the Japanese grand prix in 2016, Rosberg had won 9 races to Hamilton's 6 (and Rosberg had let Hamilton past at Monaco for one of those 6 wins).
After Japan, Rosberg only had to finish second in the last 4 races to win the title and he took the sensible route to the Title.

Hamilton outbraked himself from the lead at the Mexican Grand Prix, slid off the track and drove straight to corner 3 from corner 1. He avoided ending up way down the field by doing that, but wasn't penalised. The World Championship battle was kept alive by the stewards' decision.

Nico's 9 wins;

Australia - Hamilton bad start from pole drops to 6th.
Bahrain - Hamilton bad start from pole, hit by Bottas who damaged his car and dropped him to 7th.
China - Hamilton breaks down in qualifying, starts P20
Russia - Hamilton breaks down in qualifying, starts P10
Baku - Hamilton crashes out in qualifying when on a lap that was 0.5 faster than Nico's pole lap, starts P10.
Belgium - Hamilton starts in the pits after engine change penalties
Monza - Hamilton bad start from pole drops to 7th
Singapore - Hamilton misses all night time practise sessions with reliability issues and goes in qualifying blind.
Japan - Rosberg out qualifies Hamilton and wins the race

The luck was nowhere near equal in 2016. If it had been, Hamilton would have won the title easily. Nico was only quicker than Hamilton in 4 race weekends.
In 8 of Nico Rosbergs 9 wins, Lewis Hamilton was outside the the 5 in all of them (usually further down) whilst Nico lead or was in P2 in one of them. The only exception is Singapore in which Hamilton missed all representative night time running of FP2 and FP3 and Hamilton was P3 whilst Nico was P1 after the start in that one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm 

What does any of this have to do with his YouTube channel?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm 

Johnson wrote:
babararacucudada wrote:

Nico's 9 wins;

Australia - Hamilton bad start from pole drops to 6th.
Bahrain - Hamilton bad start from pole, hit by Bottas who damaged his car and dropped him to 7th.
China - Hamilton breaks down in qualifying, starts P20
Russia - Hamilton breaks down in qualifying, starts P10
Baku - Hamilton crashes out in qualifying when on a lap that was 0.5 faster than Nico's pole lap, starts P10.
Belgium - Hamilton starts in the pits after engine change penalties
Monza - Hamilton bad start from pole drops to 7th
Singapore - Hamilton misses all night time practise sessions with reliability issues and goes in qualifying blind.
Japan - Rosberg out qualifies Hamilton and wins the race

The luck was nowhere near equal in 2016. If it had been, Hamilton would have won the title easily. Nico was only quicker than Hamilton in 4 race weekends.
In 8 of Nico Rosbergs 9 wins, Lewis Hamilton was outside the the 5 in all of them (usually further down) whilst Nico lead or was in P2 in one of them. The only exception is Singapore in which Hamilton missed all representative night time running of FP2 and FP3 and Hamilton was P3 whilst Nico was P1 after the start in that one.

Exactly, and Nico knew it more than anyone and so he had to get out of a situation that could tarnish his legacy if he decided to race further seasons when the luck would even out and Hamilton would destroy him, highlighting further to everyone that he lucked into the 2016 title. He didn't want to risk being embarrassed further by being demolished in 2017 and 2018 too, which let's face it, would have happened if he continued.

All this talk about him retiring due to him wanting to spend more time with his family is nonsense in my opinion, as why would he sign the extra two year contract during the middle of the 2016 season, only a few months before him eventually quitting? Also, if he had not won the WDC, he says he would have continued, so again his family wasn't a factor in his thinking there.

As for your mention of Baku, I think that was fair game for Rosberg winning that race fairly as it was Hamilton's error by crashing there, even if Lewis was faster at that event. The bad starts are kind of meh, in that it was clearly a clutch issue that contributed to the problem, but possibly Hamilton could also be blamed for not adapting to it better so it's a bit unfortunate that a silly issue like that can make you lose a whole race weekend to your teammate even though you were better at driving the car quicker than them. The other reliability issues in addition to Malaysia 2016 more than show the luck was very unbalanced across the pair regardless, even if you were to completely hold all of the bad starts as 100% Hamilton's failings.

In some ways it would have been interesting if he'd lost the 2016 title by a few points if he had say dropped to 4th in Abu Dhabi, as then he would have been forced to continue on as he wasn't World Champion and hadn't achieved his dream yet. It would have been different and unique to watch a broken man be broken even further by continuing to lose heavily whilst being an 'equal number one' in the team. At least Rubens Barrichello was protected by being a number two contract-wise so the general public would often just say ''he is forced to lose as it's in his contract'', even though if he was equal number one with Michael it wouldn't have made a shred of difference, he would have been destroyed all the same only it would be far more embarrassing for the Brazilian.

Nico's error was incorrectly thinking he had the measure of Hamilton; he underestimated Lewis and so constantly called for parity during 2013 and 2014, mistakenly thinking that he had a chance against the Brit so long as they were treated fairly, and this led to him then being embarrassed throughout 2014 and 2015 when the car was a championship contender and the two drivers were locked in a private battle. This psychological pressure was just building and building on him all the time yet he could see no escape from the agony as Mercedes was always his best bet to re-sign with them if he wanted to secure race-winning machinery. He had to take the mocking from Lewis towards the end of 2015 and that was one of his lowest points. Once he finally got his WDC however, knowing that the foundations of his 'successful' campaign were built firmly on Hamilton's misfortune, he knew he had to escape right there and then to relieve the immense mental strain that had been placed upon him over the preceding three seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm 

I wouldn’t be so hard on Nico to say he ran away, I think he knew objectively he couldn’t beat Hamilton over a season unless something like 2016 occurred again which would be highly unlikely. He achieved his goal of a title and got out. Nico agrees that Hamilton is a better driver than him.

I agree, Nico was the better driver in Baku 2016 but Hamilton was much quicker as he was throughout the entire season. Hamilton out qualified Nico by more than 0.3 in half of the Q3 sessions both took part in in 2016. Yet Bottas gets flamed when he is 0.3+ off Lewis. Whilst Nico “gave everything in 2016” to beat Lewis in 2016. No, he was slower than any other year actaully.

Bottas will win the title this year if Hamilton gets a repeat of his 2016 luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:27 pm 

Right people, Nico's YouTube channel has precious little to do with anything that went on in 2016, and any further discussion about it in here will be viewed in a very dim light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm 

Mod Edit: Seriously guys, I wasn't joking in my post.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 pm 

Thank you Mod Yellow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm 

Mod Yellow wrote:
Right people, Nico's YouTube channel has precious little to do with anything that went on in 2016, and any further discussion about it in here will be viewed in a very dim light.

It's related to Nico Rosberg though, and also a big reason as to why he even has a youtube channel now. For instance if he hadn't won the WDC in 2016, he would probably still be at Mercedes this season, or perhaps at another team as even now he is still at an age that is too young to retire if he can be at least moderately competitive; therefore his youtube channel wouldn't exist if 2016 didn't go down the way it did. Hence one could argue it is a related discussion point.

Also, is it always appropriate to open up another thread on something like this? It can lead to the forum being very cluttered with threads if every side issue is broken apart into new threads.

I'm not saying the above two paragraphs are necessarily my personal opinons by the way, they are just potential angles that some members of the community could perhaps view things and it's purely some food for thought anyhow. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

F1 Racer wrote:
Mod Yellow wrote:

It's related to Nico Rosberg though, and also a big reason as to why he even has a youtube channel now. For instance if he hadn't won the WDC in 2016, he would probably still be at Mercedes this season, or perhaps at another team as even now he is still at an age that is too young to retire if he can be at least moderately competitive; therefore his youtube channel wouldn't exist if 2016 didn't go down the way it did. Hence one could argue it is a related discussion point.

Also, is it always appropriate to open up another thread on something like this? It can lead to the forum being very cluttered with threads if every side issue is broken apart into new threads.

I'm not saying the above two paragraphs are necessarily my personal opinons by the way, they are just potential angles that some members of the community could perhaps view things and it's purely some food for thought anyhow. :)

This thread is about his YouTube channel, which as YouTube channel run by the most recent new WDC and a highly educated driver is clearly a topic of discussion on its own merits, without being dragged into arguments we have heard up and down the forum for the last 2 years.

The posts on here had reached the point where they had nothing to do with his channel at all, they were just breakdowns of the 2016 season. There are threads about that already, and a new one could be started. If multiple were started then yes that would be cluttering the front page - but if that happened we would merge them. For sure - we don't want the front page cluttered with bogus threads, but we also don't want worthwhile topics cluttered with numerous clusters of off topic discussion. It's not fair to either the thread starter or those engaged in the on-topic discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
minchy wrote:
I seen a couple of his vids before, they're quite good really, a lot better than most of the vlogging vids out there. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen him doing a vid where he explains how many people are working behind the camera for him to make his content.

Not taking anything away from his vids, just pointing out that his actual role in his vids os more of a presenter/host than anything else.

The way he talks to the camera is still impressive. I am sure he is doing for fun only as he is already very rich. I still can't believe he retired so soon. He was driving the best car in F1 and had million $ contract.

He looks pretty freaking happy now.

He does, and for the most part, he looked pretty much that same level of happy UNTIL Hamilton came on board and was pushing him to the limit 24/7/365.
Part of the fun of racing is the intensity of it and I will NEVER understand WHY some drivers are perfectly happy to duke it out wheel to wheel and though perhaps not particularly happy coming in 2nd after a close battle, aren't soured because of it and are able to appreciate the battle, yet when it's a teammate, they become angry.

Nico was at his best when paired against Lewis and dare I say they were the most equally talented drivers we've ever seen in the history of the sport and each was consistently pushing the other to extremes to the point all it took was the slightest mistake from one or a superiorly calculated move for one to get in front of the other. And while Lewis exuded distaste and disdain for Nico, he never took things as far as Nico did when "trying to prove a point."

He was brilliant enough that he didn't need to go to those extremes and should have instead poured all that negativity into better refining his abilities. I was one who initially felt he was solid at best, but he proved to me that he was far more than that, and dare I say one of the elites.

In that he should have taken solace and maintained his focus. He is one I can truly say walked away far too early, as he had/has much much more in the tank. (No pun intended) Superior drives and weekends were yet to come from him, but I suspect he just needed a break, but the bug to compete is still in him. It might not be right now, but eventually boredom will likely kick in and he'll once again feel thinned for speed and someone will snatch him up.

His Youtube channel is really good, but his podcast series is superb! I really enjoy his interviews. Fantastic listening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Part of the fun of racing is the intensity of it and I will NEVER understand WHY some drivers are perfectly happy to duke it out wheel to wheel and though perhaps not particularly happy coming in 2nd after a close battle, aren't soured because of it and are able to appreciate the battle, yet when it's a teammate, they become angry.

Because like most people, they care about their image and if you lose to a teammate, you have nowhere to hide and unless the luck is massively and clearly unbalanced, you simply lost to the better guy.

SV and LH can hug and shake hands with mutual respect when LH wraps up the title in Mexico last year because they had a title fight with different equipment and so it is not 100% conclusive that the best driver won. There is a remote possibility that last year's Ferrari was a dog and SV, (and to a lesser extent KR), pulled off a miracle to even give Mercedes a slight run for their money in the title race. Perhaps SV slid off in Germany because the car was mostly undriveable and he and KR did well not to slide off the road more often etc. I'm not saying this was the case, merely that it is possible and so it protects the losing driver to a certain extent.

Had they been in the same machinery then things would go the way of Senna/Prost, Hamilton/Alonso and Hamilton/Rosberg between them. This is because the loser has his reputation at stake. This is also why fireworks are predicted at Ferrari this year if the two drivers are fighting for the championship, (it won't kick off in a big way if they both continue to fall further behind LH in the points table).

It's also the same kind of thinking that Danny Ric decided to leave Red Bull, as he can't afford to keep losing to Max or he will be dropped from the sport eventually. At least now he can attempt to plot a different narrative and hope to steal a title if Renault ever come good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 pm 

Yeh Nico's ok in small doses

I catch the odd video but haven't subscribed

He seems to have his head screwed on though

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 am 

Nico's podcast with Daniel Ricciardo is another good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eNJi45iIB8

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:38 am 

Mod Edit: Post Deleted