Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:18 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Can you think of any examples where Ferrari have clearly been able to factor the Haas drivers pulling over abd waving them past in to their strategy?

This went quite far beyond what we have seen before.

I've never seen a Haas car make it difficult for a Ferrari to pass and this would be for actual race position, however I have seen a Haas car get criticised for ignoring blue flags and apparently it was deliberate.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/176 ... lag-debate

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/171 ... g-comments

Strange that it never involved a Ferrari driver.

You've absolutely no idea if he moved out the way any quicker for Ferrari drivers or not.

I said at the time and I stand by it. I never saw Guttierez do anything wrong 'RE blue flags. At Singapore they were being waved at him when he was still 2 corners ahead of the lead cars.

It doesn't even stand up any comparison to be honest.

If it was such a heinous thing then why doesn't it concern the FIA, why was Wolff so blasa about it?

Just a coincidence that there is no evidence of a Ferrari being held up?

The FIA not investigating is not proof of innocence. Nor is the opposite, investigating something doesn't mean that someone is guilty.

Equally, you not remembering Ferrari being held up does not mean that they have given orders to other teams to let them by. Hilariously, when we do finally have someone admitting to orders, you don't believe it as it involves Mercedes!!!

You have a very weird concept of judging things, you seem to clutch to every rumour that goes against your favourite driver's competitors and not believe anything that goes against him. I do hope you are not working in a court of law.
The last paragraph sums it up in a nutshell, I'm afraid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 pm 

Amen...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:46 pm 

If it was such a heinous thing then why doesn't it concern the FIA, why was Wolff so blasa about it?

Just a coincidence that there is no evidence of a Ferrari being held up?[/quote]

Is there any evidence of Verstappen or Perez or Bottas or literally anyone else other than Ricciardo being held up?

It's so broad it's not even a coincidence.

It would be like asking if it's a coincidence I didn't wear a blue shirt today.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm 

What concerns me about this incident is that it handed Hamilton an unfair advantage that could have won him the race. The collusion between the teams allowed Hamilton to pit earlier than Vettel and Ricciardo ahead of him, as they had to wait to build sufficient gap to Ocon so they could ensure they left the pits ahead of him. If Hamilton had been able to get the ultrasofts up to temperature then the undercut would most likely have allowed him to jump both the cars ahead of him.

All three of the top teams are guilty of this sort of collusion with their engine customers / junior teams, you're deluding yourself if you believe otherwise. It's just that Mercedes have been the most obvious about it by doing it at Monaco and then admitting it afterwards. I hate it and it needs to be clamped down on in the interests of the sport's credibility.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 pm 

j man wrote:
What concerns me about this incident is that it handed Hamilton an unfair advantage that could have won him the race. The collusion between the teams allowed Hamilton to pit earlier than Vettel and Ricciardo ahead of him, as they had to wait to build sufficient gap to Ocon so they could ensure they left the pits ahead of him. If Hamilton had been able to get the ultrasofts up to temperature then the undercut would most likely have allowed him to jump both the cars ahead of him.

All three of the top teams are guilty of this sort of collusion with their engine customers / junior teams, you're deluding yourself if you believe otherwise. It's just that Mercedes have been the most obvious about it by doing it at Monaco and then admitting it afterwards. I hate it and it needs to be clamped down on in the interests of the sport's credibility.

Whilst I agree in spirit, it'll just end up going down the same road that banning team orders did; it'll still happen, it'll still be obvious to all and sundry but the teams will deny it to high heaven, and without written/recorded proof of any collusion between teams (and I imagine most of these 'junior' drivers are perfectly aware of what is expected of them by their paymasters) it'll be impossible to police.

Mercedes being so blase about admitting it is awfully bold mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:24 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Can you think of any examples where Ferrari have clearly been able to factor the Haas drivers pulling over abd waving them past in to their strategy?

This went quite far beyond what we have seen before.

I've never seen a Haas car make it difficult for a Ferrari to pass and this would be for actual race position, however I have seen a Haas car get criticised for ignoring blue flags and apparently it was deliberate.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/176 ... lag-debate

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/171 ... g-comments

Strange that it never involved a Ferrari driver.

You've absolutely no idea if he moved out the way any quicker for Ferrari drivers or not.

I said at the time and I stand by it. I never saw Guttierez do anything wrong 'RE blue flags. At Singapore they were being waved at him when he was still 2 corners ahead of the lead cars.

The FIA not investigating is not proof of innocence. Nor is the opposite, investigating something doesn't mean that someone is guilty.

Equally, you not remembering Ferrari being held up does not mean that they have given orders to other teams to let them by. Hilariously, when we do finally have someone admitting to orders, you don't believe it as it involves Mercedes!!!

You have a very weird concept of judging things, you seem to clutch to every rumour that goes against your favourite driver's competitors and not believe anything that goes against him. I do hope you are not working in a court of law.

It's proof that no rules were broken because I would be guessing that similar things happen all the time?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
j man wrote:

Whilst I agree in spirit, it'll just end up going down the same road that banning team orders did; it'll still happen, it'll still be obvious to all and sundry but the teams will deny it to high heaven, and without written/recorded proof of any collusion between teams (and I imagine most of these 'junior' drivers are perfectly aware of what is expected of them by their paymasters) it'll be impossible to police.

Mercedes being so blase about admitting it is awfully bold mind.

Indeed always stick to plausible deniability.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm 

Yes, whilst it is massively unsporting and concerning to see you can't really enforce and ban on such behaviour.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Yes, whilst it is massively unsporting and concerning to see you can't really enforce and ban on such behaviour.

Indeed. Mercedes is open about it because they know there won't be any consequences. That's wholly separate from whether or not there should be consequences, which in my opinion there should be.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:18 am 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

It's proof that no rules were broken because I would be guessing that similar things happen all the time?

What are you talking about??? This makes absolutely no sense.

Ok, I'll give you an example; we see drivers cutting corners or overtake outside the track in the opening laps time and again and the FIA does nothing about it for years despite everyone talking about it. It doesn't mean that it is proof that no rules were broken, they clearly have. It is just so difficult to police when half the cars do it on the opening lap that we never see them punished.

We have also seen the stewards looking at an incident when something else happens on track. The second incident goes unpunished as the stewards haven't seen it. It doesn't mean that there was no transgression.

The FIA not punishing something doesn't guarantee that no rules were broken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:19 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Indeed. Mercedes is open about it because they know there won't be any consequences. That's wholly separate from whether or not there should be consequences, which in my opinion there should be.

Yes, it is really sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:45 pm 

Wonder what Hartley's problem was :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbQygV ... be&t=9m27s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 pm 

Lojik wrote:

Twice in one race and not a peep from the FIA/F1. Disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:16 pm 

Apparently Ocon has come out and said to the French press that there is a verbal agreement that they can only fight Mercedes on lap 1. After that they're not allowed to fight.

Is that not against the rules? There was no link offered in the post on AS where I read it so is there any French F1 fans that can offer any insight?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:34 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Apparently Ocon has come out and said to the French press that there is a verbal agreement that they can only fight Mercedes on lap 1. After that they're not allowed to fight.

Is that not against the rules? There was no link offered in the post on AS where I read it so is there any French F1 fans that can offer any insight?

Yeah if that is true then it is absolutely not on and should not be allowed, for any team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

And let's not forget that Toto Wolff has spent the last few years telling us how Mercedes are the good guys and have the fans' interests at heart so they don't employ team orders. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:04 pm 

Doesn't seem to make much sense to be fair. If you can't fight past lap 1 then how do you keep any positions past lap 1 against Mercedes?

Kinda makes fighting them on lap 1 a pointless exercise if you have to move over as soon as they come back at you on lap 2 onwards if you see what I mean.

Until I see the source I'm not convinced tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Doesn't seem to make much sense to be fair. If you can't fight past lap 1 then how do you keep any positions past lap 1 against Mercedes?

Kinda makes fighting them on lap 1 a pointless exercise if you have to move over as soon as they come back at you on lap 2 onwards if you see what I mean.

I can only imagine that this would make sense in a place like Monaco. If you could ever manage to get ahead of them in lap one, then they'd be stuck behind you. So they are not allowed to fight them, they'd have to allow them past.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 am 

Lotus49 wrote:

The way I read it is that they are saying they don't have to move out of Mercedes' way in the chaos of the opening lap, so they can just concentrate on getting the best start for themselves without having to worry about treading on toes, but once that's out of the way they must give way to Mercedes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 am 

That's just what F1 needs if true x(

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm 

Wonder how long that policy has been in place?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:21 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Ok, I'll give you an example; we see drivers cutting corners or overtake outside the track in the opening laps time and again and the FIA does nothing about it for years despite everyone talking about it. It doesn't mean that it is proof that no rules were broken, they clearly have. It is just so difficult to police when half the cars do it on the opening lap that we never see them punished.

We have also seen the stewards looking at an incident when something else happens on track. The second incident goes unpunished as the stewards haven't seen it. It doesn't mean that there was no transgression.

I'm thinking that they are actually more aware of what goes on then perhaps you are and so is Wolff?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:30 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lojik wrote:

That was an actual pass for position and I already said that Hartley waved Verstappen past although I didn't bring forward the actual evidence, I think some of you guys must live in a bubble or is it only right to do that if you own both teams?

This was posted 3 days ago and no comment is made apart from still the disgusting collusion between Mercedes and Force India, well you can criticise me as much as you want for double standards but from what I can see the people that criticise me are no better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I'm thinking that they are actually more aware of what goes on then perhaps you are and so is Wolff?

Yet on the other thread you are arguing against the FIA's rulings. Aren't they, perhaps, more aware than yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Yet on the other thread you are arguing against the FIA's rulings. Aren't they, perhaps, more aware than yourself?

What ruling is that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm 

You know what? Don't worry about it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:44 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
The sad part is that this is now common practice. When a team depends on another team or manufacturer, a quiet whisper between team principles happens. It wasn't just Ocon and Mercedes, it was also McLaren and Renault/Red Bull. In the latter stages a McLaren miraculously came out of the pits and split Ricciardo and Vettel. McLaren have a Renault engine, just like the Red Bull. Dooh.

Personally I have always opposed team orders, and I hope others understand the cancer this is to the sport.

I'm not sure why Mclaren would do this? Sure, they share engines but it's a pretty big and random ask of Renault to say "Hey, can you spoil the race of your only remaining car to make sure that our other customer can win, even though it doesn't look like he needs assistance?". If anything it's embarrasing that Red Bull are winning races whilst Mclaren basically only have points because of Alonso's amazing feats. This is all coming from a Mclaren fan btw!

My first thought was that they were doing the old school "our car was right behind the winners car" for the end of race photo. I'm sure they used to do that at races like Le Mans? Or maybe they knew the race was over and wanted to run the hypers again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:53 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lojik wrote:

That was an actual pass for position and I already said that Hartley waved Verstappen past although I didn't bring forward the actual evidence, I think some of you guys must live in a bubble or is it only right to do that if you own both teams?

This was posted 3 days ago and no comment is made apart from still the disgusting collusion between Mercedes and Force India, well you can criticise me as much as you want for double standards but from what I can see the people that criticise me are no better.

Huh? I don't know if my post is appearing differently on my screen to yours but I think I quite clearly say that consider this and the Force India one to be the same. So your accusation of double standards is laughable.

No it's not alright if you own both teams. I'll reiterate: This happens twice in one race and nothing from the FIA, I find that to be very disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 am 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lojik wrote:

N9body has defended Hartley pulling over. That's a bag of peaky as well. It's less interesting because it's less of a surprise. We didn't know FI weren't allowed to race Mercedes until this weekend.

If it's something agreed before a race and is factored into race strategy which it clearly was then it's obviously race fixing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:12 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
If it's something agreed before a race and is factored into race strategy which it clearly was then it's obviously race fixing.

:thumbup:

Red Bull have done it with Toro Rosso for some years, and have gotten a lot of flack (including from some Hamilton supporters I could name) for it. It's no better when Mercedes does it - it's arguably worse, since it's forcing a team they don't own to act like their junior squad just so they can get an engine.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 am 

I don't belive we've had any Merc powered "best of the rest" on the podium during this engine regulations?
Wonder if this makes any other team want to have a Merc engine and be manhandled..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am 

AnRs wrote:
I don't belive we've had any Merc powered "best of the rest" on the podium during this engine regulations?
Wonder if this makes any other team want to have a Merc engine and be manhandled..

Um... 2 races ago?? :? :?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
AnRs wrote:

Sorry, was that the first since 2013?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 am 

AnRs wrote:

Erm, not sure where to start with this...

Williams podiumed in multiple races, as have Force India. Even McLaren got a double podium in Oz 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am 

AnRs wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
AnRs wrote:

Sorry, was that the first since 2013?

If you're asking if there's been Mercedes powered cars on the podium that aren't Mercedes during the V6T era then we've had loads. 2014 was littered with Williams podiums, they got some in 2015 too and Perez has had a few for Force India (Baku,Bahrain,Monaco and maybe another I'm forgetting)

Lotus had RoGro on the podium in Spa with Mercedes too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:14 am 

Ninja'd by mikey lol.

I completely forgot about McLaren in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:45 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Ninja'd by mikey lol.

And I forgot about the Lotus podium!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Ninja'd by mikey lol.

And I forgot about the Lotus podium!

Ok, ok I'm defeated : ) I read it somewhere but I've forgotten where so issue dropped..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lojik wrote:

Huh? I don't know if my post is appearing differently on my screen to yours but I think I quite clearly say that consider this and the Force India one to be the same. So your accusation of double standards is laughable.

No it's not alright if you own both teams. I'll reiterate: This happens twice in one race and nothing from the FIA, I find that to be very disappointing.

Sorry I missed that but still 1 post in 3 days as against all the posts condemning Mercedes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:26 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Lojik wrote:

N9body has defended Hartley pulling over. That's a bag of peaky as well. It's less interesting because it's less of a surprise. We didn't know FI weren't allowed to race Mercedes until this weekend.

Whilst the FIA allow someone to own 2 teams and they allow this sort of thing to happen then they have not got a leg to stand on regarding Mercedes, you can't have one rule for one and a different rule for someone else.

This isn't even an issue for the FIA or other teams but just on a forum like this were people choose to be a bit myopic it seems?

Also regarding your post how does it make it more acceptable because that's what you expect when someone owns 2 teams?