planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Indy500
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Lap after lap of yellow for a small spin in the pit lane.
I guess someone has a bet on Pagenaud for the win.
Absolute joke the further this goes on.

Then don't watch

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 pm 

Blake wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Lap after lap of yellow for a small spin in the pit lane.
I guess someone has a bet on Pagenaud for the win.
Absolute joke the further this goes on.

Then don't watch

Exactly. It's been a great race. What a finish this is.......

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm 

Wow. What a finish. My heart's racing!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Wow. What a finish. My heart's racing!!!!!

That was an incredible ending!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm 

So much fun!

Great day for Penske...1, 4, & 5

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 pm 

Kudos to all the top 5. Never thought Power was going to pull that much back.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 pm 

THIS INDY 500 WIN IS WORTH CONTRACT EXTENSION.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm 

Placid wrote:
THIS INDY 500 WIN IS WORTH CONTRACT EXTENSION.

Roger does like to have 500 winners on his team, and I believe that leaves only Newgarden without either a recent or multiple win record?

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:24 pm 

Was a better race than Monaco, although Lewis did a very good job at keeping Max behind him with junk tires.

I was cheering for Rossi, but like he said, the Penske just had too much horse power and was not short on fuel at the end.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:05 pm 

Wos what a race! Fantastic stuff!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:52 pm 

I was a bit disappointed, I was rooting for Rossi.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:12 am 

pokerman wrote:
I was a bit disappointed, I was rooting for Rossi.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 am 

As a Roger Penske follower since he raced SCCA in a modified Cooper Monaco, I am, of course, most pleased with the results.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 am 

Blake wrote:
As a Roger Penske follower since he raced SCCA in a modified Cooper Monaco, I am, of course, most pleased with the results.

Congrats. I was pulling for Rossi but the Penske car was just too quick.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 am 

I'm not a seasoned Indy follower by any means but it looked to me that Pagenaud got a bit lucky, not really doing anything to manage fuel (ignoring requests from the pitwall) and instead gambling on there being an accident so that he could save fuel while the yellows were out. Without that Bourdais crash he'd have needed an extra stop for fuel and would have finished nowhere. Rossi's was the much more impressive performance.

To me it's like someone winning an F1 race because their pitstop happened to co-incide with a VSC period. Or even winning an F1 race despite being on the wrong tyres just because the circuit is an anachronism from the 1920s where cars can't pass each other. It just feels a bit of a hollow victory.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:30 am 

j man wrote:
I'm not a seasoned Indy follower by any means but it looked to me that Pagenaud got a bit lucky, not really doing anything to manage fuel (ignoring requests from the pitwall) and instead gambling on there being an accident so that he could save fuel while the yellows were out. Without that Bourdais crash he'd have needed an extra stop for fuel and would have finished nowhere. Rossi's was the much more impressive performance.

To me it's like someone winning an F1 race because their pitstop happened to co-incide with a VSC period. Or even winning an F1 race despite being on the wrong tyres just because the circuit is an anachronism from the 1920s where cars can't pass each other. It just feels a bit of a hollow victory.

Yes for sure, fuel so often seems to determine the winner of the 500. It is the nature of the race, imperfect as it is. I like Pagenaud and am happy for him regardless.
Your point speaks to what my friends and I often say about F1 too, in that we hate how racing seems to have become about conserving fuel or tyres instead of charging full out all the time.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:22 pm 

Blake wrote:

https://racer.com/2019/05/26/how-roger- ... -and-hull/

15 part story and interviews on his influence at the speedway, over 50 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:42 pm 

I find these crashes of Patrick, Bourdais and Castroneves really scary. No cars nearby, just unstable at very high speed.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm 

Frenk Biber wrote:
I find these crashes of Patrick, Bourdais and Castroneves really scary. No cars nearby, just unstable at very high speed.

Indy series ovals scare me. Texas and this track are just too fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm 

j man wrote:

Yes if not for the late SC Rossi had the race won.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 pm 

pokerman wrote:
j man wrote:

Yes if not for the late SC Rossi had the race won.

Of course, Rossi won his 500 with top fuel management and luck. Luck is frequently a factor in auto racing, always has been and will be.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 pm 

pc27b wrote:
Blake wrote:

THANKS, pc. I will indeed read all of them!

BTW, Roger is also a very nice and humble person. A quick story, Smiling Voucher (some might remember him here) and I were at Road Atlanta for the Petit LeMans, Penske was walking in the paddock when I introduced myself as a life long fan having followed him when he drove his Xerox Special in the early 60s. To my shock he asked me if I would be willing to have a picture with him??? Then he turned to one of his crew, handed him his own phone to have HIS picture taken with ME ! His comment was something to the effect that he wanted a picture with a fan that goes back to his racing beginning, and then thanked ME. I was dumbfounded.

I have also visited with Castroneves, Briscoe, a couple of other drivers, and some who work in the shop,and even a couple his car dealerships ..they have all said my story is not uncommon for Penske, that he is a truly genuine nice guy. Thought that story might interest some of you. Heaven know s that I treasure the memories.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 pm 

I had fun at the 500, as expected. The weather varied between good (in the morning) and hot (peaking during the red flag period), but at least the thunderstorms that had been widely predicted stayed away. There wasn't so much as a drop of rain after I woke up at about 8AM.

The section I was in this year was the Turn Three Club, and I thought it did a good job of living up to its premise -- offering something more comfortable and exclusive than a seat in the grandstands, but for less than the price you'd pay for club seats at a Grand Prix or on the main stretch at Indy. As it turned out, all the major action happened between turns 3 and 4 anyway, so I was in position to see it all!

Somewhat less fortuitously, however, both crashes happened while I was standing up. I was getting water when the big Bourdais/Rahal crash started, and turned around to see a wall of not very pleasant smelling smoke drifting across the fencing. A piece of brightly color SealMaster car went up and hit the top of the fence, nearly going over into the seats to my right.

This was the closest I've ever been sat to the cars, and it was quite impressive. As a bonus, the fighter jet in the pre-race show did its climb directly above our section! 8)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 pm 

Rossi should have won the race going away. The 20+ sec pit stop, being held-up by lapped cars and then the unlucky yellow flags. Still it was a great race! Sorry F1, but Indy Car has the best open wheel racing in motorsports, at a fraction of the cost.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 pm 

indy is ONE OF A KIND. nothing, in racing, compares to it, NOTHING.
so many people, just crazy and unbelievable feeling being there.
add in the memorial day tributes (which i didn't understand as a child. but did later) what a freaking experience, i have been to races in multiple countries, loved them all. absolutely nothing compares to the hours leading up to the 500 , and the race itself

everyone who was there today.....glad you got to enjoy it. penske racing is just something else

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I had fun at the 500, as expected. The weather varied between good (in the morning) and hot (peaking during the red flag period), but at least the thunderstorms that had been widely predicted stayed away. There wasn't so much as a drop of rain after I woke up at about 8AM.

The section I was in this year was the Turn Three Club, and I thought it did a good job of living up to its premise -- offering something more comfortable and exclusive than a seat in the grandstands, but for less than the price you'd pay for club seats at a Grand Prix or on the main stretch at Indy. As it turned out, all the major action happened between turns 3 and 4 anyway, so I was in position to see it all!

Somewhat less fortuitously, however, both crashes happened while I was standing up. I was getting water when the big Bourdais/Rahal crash started, and turned around to see a wall of not very pleasant smelling smoke drifting across the fencing. A piece of brightly color SealMaster car went up and hit the top of the fence, nearly going over into the seats to my right.

This was the closest I've ever been sat to the cars, and it was quite impressive. As a bonus, the fighter jet in the pre-race show did its climb directly above our section! 8)

That looks like you're in a special area, individual seat and table?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:34 am 

pokerman wrote:

Yeah, it's a more exclusive/luxurious area than main grandstands, but less so than the hospitality suites on the main straight. In addition to a bar (that I didn't take advantage of, since I was driving back the same night) there was free water, food and soda. You had to pay if you wanted Red Bull, though! :o

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:09 am 

It certainly looks a great place to watch it from, the noise,smell and speed of the cars must have been great from that close. Glad you had a blast.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:36 am 

Yes, it does look like a great spot. I'll have to keep that in mind. Glad you had such a good time.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm 

Blake wrote:
pc27b wrote:
Blake wrote:

THANKS, pc. I will indeed read all of them!

BTW, Roger is also a very nice and humble person. A quick story, Smiling Voucher (some might remember him here) and I were at Road Atlanta for the Petit LeMans, Penske was walking in the paddock when I introduced myself as a life long fan having followed him when he drove his Xerox Special in the early 60s. To my shock he asked me if I would be willing to have a picture with him??? Then he turned to one of his crew, handed him his own phone to have HIS picture taken with ME ! His comment was something to the effect that he wanted a picture with a fan that goes back to his racing beginning, and then thanked ME. I was dumbfounded.

I have also visited with Castroneves, Briscoe, a couple of other drivers, and some who work in the shop,and even a couple his car dealerships ..they have all said my story is not uncommon for Penske, that he is a truly genuine nice guy. Thought that story might interest some of you. Heaven know s that I treasure the memories.

WOW, thats really cool. I was at LBGP talking to my cousin who just left a meeting with Honda (he runs the trophy truck team with Honda. the one that Rossi drove the baja 1000 with) and Chip just got on his scooter to drive by. I hesitated just a bit too much to ask for a pic with him and didn't want to look like a turd trying to hard, so I missed the opportunity. Its cool when guys are humble and grateful to the fans.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yeah, it's a more exclusive/luxurious area than main grandstands, but less so than the hospitality suites on the main straight. In addition to a bar (that I didn't take advantage of, since I was driving back the same night) there was free water, food and soda. You had to pay if you wanted Red Bull, though! :o

Nice it's like 5 star luxury when I think back to when I use to attend the GP's back in the 80s. :)