planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:21 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Can we expect a close shootout for pole on Saturday? Seems so. I'd imagine the Q3 engine mode effect won't be as large here.

It will be close between Lewis and Valtteri. I don’t see even max threatening Merc to be honest. Merc always is slow on the first day and they are already 6 tenths up on Ferrari. I think max is going to be closest to the mercs on sat but probably still a couple of tenths off. This tracks really highlights who has the downforce and as I expected Ferrari is not close at all here. Redbull is close but still not there imo.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm 

FP2 done:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7QkZqUWsAAX4-3.jpg:large

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Max and Leclerc very unusual results. They didn't gain much from this morning's FP1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 pm 

I know FP sessions mean very little but what a job by Albon!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
Unfortunately Hamilton pole, Bottas 2nd and Hamilton will walk away with the race victory.

Same old....

I'm not convinced. The Merc is very quick, but a handful to drive by the looks of things. I can see one of the mercs stuffing it in the wall during qualy, possibly Hamilton as he seems to be struggling most with one off fast laps.

Where is this Mercedes a handful to drive coming from?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm 

My a*se it'll be a close qualy :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm 

Junglist wrote:

Albon is really embarrassing Kvyat.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Junglist wrote:

For me, he should be Max's teammate next year. Not sure it will happen but I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:46 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Junglist wrote:

For me, he should be Max's teammate next year. Not sure it will happen but I'd love to see it.

He is doing this year what Leclerc was doing last!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Lojik wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
Unfortunately Hamilton pole, Bottas 2nd and Hamilton will walk away with the race victory.

Same old....

I'm not convinced. The Merc is very quick, but a handful to drive by the looks of things. I can see one of the mercs stuffing it in the wall during qualy, possibly Hamilton as he seems to be struggling most with one off fast laps.

Hamilton has mentioned it, so from at least one of the Mercedes own drivers

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:10 pm 

FP2 was quite telling. It's a two horse race IMO. I'd be very surprised to see someone beat Hamilton and/or Bottas.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:20 pm 

Anyone got any race pace figures?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm 

x(
JN23 wrote:

Not seen any figures but Andrew Benson said in his column that Mercs about a second quicker than Ferrari

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:27 pm 

JN23 wrote:

Here they are:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 pm 

:thumbup: Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:13 pm 

I've just noticed Williams are over two seconds slower than Ricciardo in 17th on what is a pretty short lap. That's grim for Williams

(I've excluded stroll as that car seems to be similar pace to renault)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 pm 

Looks like Max was much slower in FP2, but on closer inspection it appears that he only got in 16 laps, so a much smaller sample size. Does anyone know if he crashed or something wrong with the car? Wow, and Charles is way off this session, with lots of laps and tires. Seems like if we took away the 2 Mercs, F1 would actually be fun to watch again :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Gasly better get a move on it. He needs to be <.2-.4 within Max's time (at most). RBR is giving up too many points with him being so slow and this is a year where if they had a better driver, they would have more points than Ferrari. I understand that Gasly needs a little bit of time, but how long will they give him? around 1 sec is too much off of Max's pace. I kind of feel like RB should have really signed Herta, maybe instead of O'Ward. He continues to practice, qualify and run quicker times in races in Indycar than PatO. Seems like he could make a better transition to F1. Of course Herta is American, and F1 doesn't really like Americans.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:11 pm 

JN23 wrote:
I've just noticed Williams are over two seconds slower than Ricciardo in 17th on what is a pretty short lap. That's grim for Williams

(I've excluded stroll as that car seems to be similar pace to renault)

Their just shy of 106% off of the lead time. Genuinely a chance that they'll be over 107% come qualy!

Good to see the plucky underdog that is Mercedes making the most of things.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lojik wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Same old....

Hamilton has mentioned it, so from at least one of the Mercedes own drivers

Bottas is getting the lap times out of it easily, except Bottas is now a driving god!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 pm 

I think there's reason to believe the Mercedes was a handful in Barcelona. Watching the car there, it was twitchy and unsettled even on their quick laps.

I haven't seen the same from it in Monaco, however.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I think there's reason to believe the Mercedes was a handful in Barcelona. Watching the car there, it was twitchy and unsettled even on their quick laps.

sometimes that is good, for a car that is so long. They say that they have worked a lot on low speed corners which could make it more twitchy and less stable. Even heard mention of rear wheel steering? not sure if I heard that correctly. If they are now outperforming Ferrari in low speed corners, this championship is going to be over very soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:36 pm 

rodH wrote:
Exediron wrote:

sometimes that is good, for a car that is so long. They say that they have worked a lot on low speed corners which could make it more twitchy and less stable. Even heard mention of rear wheel steering? not sure if I heard that correctly. If they are now outperforming Ferrari in low speed corners, this championship is going to be over very soon.

Cute that you think it isn't over already.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 pm 

Altair wrote:
rodH wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Well, the WCC is. But the WDC might go until about USA or thereabouts, if Hamilton has some poor luck mid-season.

I think people are getting far too excited over Bottas having a few good qualifying performances. He's still clearly much slower than Hamilton in race pace, and I have no belief he will be able to sustain this challenge throughout the year.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:49 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Altair wrote:
rodH wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Well, the WCC is. But the WDC might go until about USA or thereabouts, if Hamilton has some poor luck mid-season.

I think people are getting far too excited over Bottas having a few good qualifying performances. He's still clearly much slower than Hamilton in race pace, and I have no belief he will be able to sustain this challenge throughout the year.

Well I wouldn't mind a few wet races getting thrown in as well, a dominant car can make it a bit harder to beat your teammate like you say because of the dreaded reliability card.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am 

From the Monaco press conference:

CA: Thank you! It’s vast question and the usual question. Will we have a signed contract by FIA, Formula One and all 10 teams by end of June or mid-June for the World Motor Council? No, obviously no. But in my opinion there has been a lot of groundwork already covered. I think it’s all about trying to agree what will be the key principles for 2021, from a commercial perspective, financial perspective, the key principles on the technical side and the sporting side. And in my opinion we are probably 80% or 90% from that point, from that milestone, so with enough faith and enough goodwill from all participants and probably a bit of a push from the key stakeholders, FIA and Formula One, there is no reason why something cannot be presented at the World Motor Sport Council that will be advanced enough to give useful guidelines for the remainder of the year, so that we have a complete set of guidelines for the end of the year. That’s my opinion, obviously, but there is still some work to cover.
Q: Christian?
CH: I didn’t understand any of that.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monaco-gp-thursday-press-conference-4394759/4394759/
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 am 

Glad you provided the link Zoue, much clearer in context! I hadn't realised that separation was so acrimonious!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 am 

Race pace as per F1's official website:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 pm 

Genuine question, would Williams be troubled by a GP2 car at the moment? In what looks a super tight midfield they are shockingly slow!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm 

Damn, so cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm 

Steve_muzzy wrote:
Genuine question, would Williams be troubled by a GP2 car at the moment? In what looks a super tight midfield they are shockingly slow!

No they are about 6 seconds quicker.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm 

Steve_muzzy wrote:

They're not in the midfield. They're what's known as a backmarker. The only one we have on the current grid.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Altair wrote:
rodH wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yep. It's like the last two years never happened for some people despite seeing almost the exact same thing. Pre Monaco it's been pretty even every single year and then Lewis goes up a gear and Bottas rarely gets close to him again. I'm not expecting any different this time, Lewis takes time to get into his stride these days, is a post Monaco wizard or Bottas is a pre Monaco wizard, take your pick, but either way it won't be close, Bottas just isn't anywhere close to him over a season and we all know it.

A beard and a sterner expression isn't going to do jack to change it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:57 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Altair wrote:
rodH wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yep. It's like the last two years never happened for some people despite seeing almost the exact same thing. Pre Monaco it's been pretty even every single year and then Lewis goes up a gear and Bottas rarely gets close to him again. I'm not expecting any different this time, Lewis takes time to get into his stride these days, is a post Monaco wizard or Bottas is a pre Monaco wizard, take your pick, but either way it won't be close, Bottas just isn't anywhere close to him over a season and we all know it.

If the Merc is dominant then it may not be that simple. The race will be won by whoever comes out of turn 1 ahead and one extra retirement and a couple of bad starts and you're 6 races behind. It's hard to stretch a gap.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:31 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

If the Merc is dominant then it may not be that simple. The race will be won by whoever comes out of turn 1 ahead and one extra retirement and a couple of bad starts and you're 6 races behind. It's hard to stretch a gap.

Depends on the circuit. In some places, Hamilton will be able to pass Bottas on track. The only way for Bottas to win over the 21 race season is to remain very consistent, not allow others to get between him and Hamilton on track and, most importantly, to have better reliability than Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm 

Does anyone feel Ferrari will be incapable of challenging Mercedes for wins this season? Ferrari have the resources no doubt & have quite able drivers. It's just developing the car in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:14 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Does anyone feel Ferrari will be incapable of challenging Mercedes for wins this season? Ferrari have the resources no doubt & have quite able drivers. It's just developing the car in the right direction.

From what I've been reading they should be strong in 5 out of the remaining 15 races how the car is now so not many.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:28 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Ferrari, even when on top, seem to find a way of f#cking it up and thats been the case for a while.

They will win this season - but the sheer slickness and professionalism of Mercedes is worth a tenth a lap!

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

From what I've been reading they should be strong in 5 out of the remaining 15 races how the car is now so not many.

Which five?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Altair wrote:
rodH wrote:

Yeah true enough but I'm not sure it'll be quite dominant enough for that, I think Bottas will get got more than a few times over the summer if Ferrari pull their finger out but we'll see.