planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:43 pm 

two articles on indy car continuing to develop a screen/halo combo. with input from red bull. interesting, at least to me it is

https://racer.com/2019/05/24/pruett-ins ... eroscreen/

https://racer.com/2019/05/24/red-bull-p ... eroscreen/

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:21 pm 

Looks OK but at that stage almost what's the point? Just stick a lid on and be done with it. Either it's open cockpit or it isn't - stop trying to be both.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm 

For some reason I feel like they should make the cockpit larger in general.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 pm 

As long as they can solve the problem with optical distortion, I have no problem with the Aeroscreen/Halo combination.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:26 pm 

I really don't see the point of doing that instead of making a canopy. Is it just to satisfy the people who feel F1/Indy should be open cockpit (not that I think it would, it hardly looks open at all)?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:01 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Looks OK but at that stage almost what's the point? Just stick a lid on and be done with it. Either it's open cockpit or it isn't - stop trying to be both.

My thoughts exactly. A cockpit, especially in Indy Cars, seems appropriate. Develop the technology.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:44 pm 

It looks awful. If they bring that into F1 I'll stop watching and go find a series that uses a traditional halo... ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 am 

wolfticket wrote:
It looks awful. If they bring that into F1 I'll stop watching and go find a series that uses a traditional halo... ;)

now that's funny! i'm all for it, if they can make it work.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am 

I'd rather see this concept get up & going than sticking with the halo. The desire to reduce the chances of the driver being struck by an object as much as possible means a full canopy design should be the ultimate goal. As has been said many times, the halo wouldn't have stopped every accident where something entered the cockpit (Massa, Wilson etc), so they'll keep testing prototypes until they get one that works.

Having said that, there's still a lot of questions surrounding the full canopy concept. Driver extraction, visual distortion & cooling of the cockpit being just 3.

I think there's still a long way to go until we get a fully enclosed cockpit, if we ever do get there.

One thing I do hope they consider if this concept works is that they lower or even remove the current driver side head protection units to expose more of the drivers head.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:42 pm 

pc27b wrote:
wolfticket wrote:

now that's funny! i'm all for it, if they can make it work.
wolfticket wrote:

:lol:

Great stuff!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
I'd rather see this concept get up & going than sticking with the halo. The desire to reduce the chances of the driver being struck by an object as much as possible means a full canopy design should be the ultimate goal. As has been said many times, the halo wouldn't have stopped every accident where something entered the cockpit (Massa, Wilson etc), so they'll keep testing prototypes until they get one that works.

Having said that, there's still a lot of questions surrounding the full canopy concept. Driver extraction, visual distortion & cooling of the cockpit being just 3.

I think there's still a long way to go until we get a fully enclosed cockpit, if we ever do get there.

One thing I do hope they consider if this concept works is that they lower or even remove the current driver side head protection units to expose more of the drivers head.
My first impression is that it is strange to combine a HALO with a windscreen, as this adds the disadvantages of one to those of the other. Apart from weight, it would be fascinating to find which advantages the combination might bring. I'm definitely not against a windscreen as such; there were rather extensive ones on the cars in the 60s and 70s, albeit without safety as their prime objective.

I doubt we will see any reduction in the size of the cockpit coaming height; unless perhaps they might be forced to install airbags instead. Also, if the windscreens are tinted, then we wouldn't be seeing much of the helmets anyway.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:29 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

Lowering the sides of the cockpit won’t ever happen as there is good reasoning behind it and it’s all about driver safety. The sides are as high and as close as they are in order to eliminate much of the rapid head movements that lead to extreme brain injuries. The current system does not allow the head to whip about too much so that in the event of a violent crash, the head doesn’t whip about too greatly, potentially thrashing the brain about even more extremely. If you lower the sides more incidents like Roland Ratzenburger would occur.

I say with a system like this, the halo within can be modified to eliminate the center Pilar obstructing the view, but fully enclosed would be my preference. It would just have to be open on the sides for venting and a defrosting system would surely have to be devised for wet races and that’s simple enough to do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm 

https://racer.com/2019/08/14/dixon-set- ... eroscreen/

further testing this fall and winter for the halo/windscreen combo is lined up.

on a side note, it would be nice to see red bull sponsor an indy car

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:36 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Lowering the sides of the cockpit won’t ever happen as there is good reasoning behind it and it’s all about driver safety. The sides are as high and as close as they are in order to eliminate much of the rapid head movements that lead to extreme brain injuries. The current system does not allow the head to whip about too much so that in the event of a violent crash, the head doesn’t whip about too greatly, potentially thrashing the brain about even more extremely. If you lower the sides more incidents like Roland Ratzenburger would occur.

I say with a system like this, the halo within can be modified to eliminate the center Pilar obstructing the view, but fully enclosed would be my preference. It would just have to be open on the sides for venting and a defrosting system would surely have to be devised for wet races and that’s simple enough to do.

Yeah I was thinking the HANS tethers would give enough protection to the head during lateral movements in an impact to allow for the removal of the raised sides should an aero screen be developed but it seems the tethers are only an aid to be used in conjunction with them. They'd be no good by themselves

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)