Williams - Claire wants a winner driving her car 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Indycars - if Alonoso can’t do it Vettel will 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Formula E - cause that would be an interesting challenge 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Le Mans - seems popular with ex F1 drivers 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Nascar - Dey take er jerbs! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
SuperX - cause you hate the world and like to see carnage 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
On Deutsche TV as a pundit 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
On the hustings - Vettel could make a good MEP or Chancellor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Driving cabs - cause he’s aggressive and good at blaming f$&k ups on other road users 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Other - comment 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:41 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
In Bahrain, the car broke, so it was not good enough or capable.
In Baku, very questionable to judge according to FP's, surely Leclerc was not good enough to keep away from barriers and Mercedes had party mode anyway.
In Canada, the stewards had their say and Vettel while won, lost at the F1 office table.
In Austria, I don't agree, RBR had its day, Max would overtake Leclerc any way.

LECLERC'S CAR broke down. Ferrari had the pace for the win but Vettel was busy flopping again under pressure.

Ferrari have their own party mode.

Vettel made a mistake and lost the race.

In Austria RBR looked stronger but there is no way they should have lost the race after Max's nightmare start. A very poorly and overly managed race on the part of both Ferrari and Leclerc, and a win thrown away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:17 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
You do realize that his contract is not up until AFTER next season, don't you? He won't be driving for another F1 team next year and I can't see him in Indycar or WEC either. I think he's going to be at Ferrari and that's where I would like him to be. Win or lose, he should finish out this era with them and then we'll see what happens next.

Yeah I don't understand this kind of talk when a driver is under contract either, I see the options for Vettel as being to drive for Ferrari in 2020 or retire from F1.

Yeah, it's because those guys around think he is finished. Not in the least. Seems like they are taking advantage of the situation he has with uncompetitive car.

Are you saying Vettel has an uncompetitive car?

Yeah I thought it was an interesting observation.

They've been a hairs breadth away from winning 3 races this year & Leclerc looked to be owning Baku before he binned it in Q2.

Atrocious strategy calls have also had then looking ordinary but I don't agree that the cars noncompetitive.

Except Bahrain I do not think Ferrari had a car to win any other races. Canada Vettel did amazing job in qualifying. Pretty sure Mercedes would have won some 20secs in hand if Vettel had not got pole. Baku Mercedes was again fastest car. Charles actually was pretty average in the race. CH even said Gasly stint in medium was more impressive than Charles. Even after the SC when Mercedes was pulling away and having their own race. Charles had fresh tyres and he was unable to keep with Vettel and Max. In Austria Vettel was again faster than Charles in the race but probably Max would have still won it. Mercedes obviously had overheating problems so that was the only bad race they have had

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Yeah I don't understand this kind of talk when a driver is under contract either, I see the options for Vettel as being to drive for Ferrari in 2020 or retire from F1.

Yeah, it's because those guys around think he is finished. Not in the least. Seems like they are taking advantage of the situation he has with uncompetitive car.

They've been a hairs breadth away from winning 3 races this year & Leclerc looked to be owning Baku before he binned it in Q2.

Atrocious strategy calls have also had then looking ordinary but I don't agree that the cars noncompetitive.

Except Bahrain I do not think Ferrari had a car to win any other races. Canada Vettel did amazing job in qualifying. Pretty sure Mercedes would have won some 20secs in hand if Vettel had not got pole. Baku Mercedes was again fastest car. Charles actually was pretty average in the race. CH even said Gasly stint in medium was more impressive than Charles. Even after the SC when Mercedes was pulling away and having their own race. Charles had fresh tyres and he was unable to keep with Vettel and Max. In Austria Vettel was again faster than Charles in the race but probably Max would have still won it. Mercedes obviously had overheating problems so that was the only bad race they have had

Canada and Austria the win was possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:06 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Canada there's no doubt - Vettel won on the road, after all - but Austria is a bit different. Vettel didn't set a time in Q3 through no fault of his own, and although his teammate probably could and should have won that race, I wouldn't extend the same to Vettel. Without Max's terrible start, Vettel would never have even been within a sniff of that win.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Canada there's no doubt - Vettel won on the road, after all - but Austria is a bit different. Vettel didn't set a time in Q3 through no fault of his own, and although his teammate probably could and should have won that race, I wouldn't extend the same to Vettel. Without Max's terrible start, Vettel would never have even been within a sniff of that win.

Yes, the Ferrari had a car capable of winning the race. I'm not saying Vettel should have won.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 am 

Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
In Baku, very questionable to judge according to FP's, surely Leclerc was not good enough to keep away from barriers and Mercedes had party mode anyway.
In Canada, the stewards had their say and Vettel while won, lost at the F1 office table.

LECLERC'S CAR broke down. Ferrari had the pace for the win but Vettel was busy flopping again under pressure.

In Austria RBR looked stronger but there is no way they should have lost the race after Max's nightmare start. A very poorly and overly managed race on the part of both Ferrari and Leclerc, and a win thrown away.

LECLERC'S CAR broke down. Ferrari had the pace for the win but Vettel was busy flopping again under pressure. I agree that Vettel was not up to the task.

Ferrari have their own party mode. Let's admit that Leclerc broke under the preassure. Vettel again was not up to task as well as Ferrari's party mode.

Vettel made a mistake and lost the race. But Leclerc was not even close to Vettel, he was not up to task this time to match him.

In Austria RBR looked stronger but there is no way they should have lost the race after Max's nightmare start. A very poorly and overly managed race on the part of both Ferrari and Leclerc, and a win thrown away. Let's not forget that Vettel's race was ruined by the bad pitstop of the team, and that Leclerc did not have pace to keep up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

LECLERC'S CAR broke down. Ferrari had the pace for the win but Vettel was busy flopping again under pressure. I agree that Vettel was not up to the task.

Ferrari have their own party mode. Let's admit that Leclerc broke under the preassure. Vettel again was not up to task as well as Ferrari's party mode.

Vettel made a mistake and lost the race. But Leclerc was not even close to Vettel, he was not up to task this time to match him.

In Austria RBR looked stronger but there is no way they should have lost the race after Max's nightmare start. A very poorly and overly managed race on the part of both Ferrari and Leclerc, and a win thrown away. Let's not forget that Vettel's race was ruined by the bad pitstop of the team, and that Leclerc did not have pace to keep up.

Yeh but I'm not saying Vettel is worse than Leclerc or anything like that, just that thecar has had the pace for wins even if they weren't outright faves in all instances presented. I don't think Vettel has been bad this season but also not great. That's why I make the point that it was Lec's car that broke down in Bahrain, as if Vettel did have the pace then Ferrari could still have won the race assuming they don't suffer two PU failures. But obviously it goes without saying that regardless of whether one considers them competitive or not, Mercedes has been the clear class of the field.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 am 

Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Yeh but I'm not saying Vettel is worse than Leclerc or anything like that, just that thecar has had the pace for wins even if they weren't outright faves in all instances presented. I don't think Vettel has been bad this season but also not great. That's why I make the point that it was Lec's car that broke down in Bahrain, as if Vettel did have the pace then Ferrari could still have won the race assuming they don't suffer two PU failures. But obviously it goes without saying that regardless of whether one considers them competitive or not, Mercedes has been the clear class of the field.

Agree. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:48 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:

No car is competitive except Mercedes.

The Ferrari has been capable of winning at least a third of the races this season. That should be good enough for a driver to showcase their talent.

Apparently Ferrari have a bigger increase in power than anyone relevant to a normal power level and have done since last year.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's my understanding that Ferrari have the faster qualifying car relative to actual race pace, once on pole and then leading the race it didn't matter that the Mercedes was faster in the second part of the race on the hard tyres, track position was everything.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)