planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules





Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4190
The discussion of the SNES mini made me think of the N64 and I had an urge to play Perfect Dark. Downloaded it onto my Xbone. I should have remembered that it didn't age well. I love the N64 and I loved Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark on the N64 but they both aged horrifically. Some games aged well - Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Smash Bros, Lylat Wars/Star Fox, Zelda:OoT/MM. Sidenote - I'm not sure how I feel about Mario Kart 64 in this context. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great at the time and important games but FPS games of that ilk have had a raft of great improvements in the 20 or so years since that really make obvious that G007/PD were lacking.

Perfect Dark did at least add the permanent on screen aimer to make things easier. Total *inaudible* to aim manually as the game strongly pulls back to neutral. Several times you are given almost no indication of what you are actually supposed to do or what things are essential. On the last regular level, if you use up your grenade launcher ammo before a certain point you fail the mission! Just annoying if you mess up or just use the ammo a few mins in to the game. Now, don't get me wrong I still enjoy the game, but it suffered from advancements to the FPS genre. I also don't do well without regenerating health, though it doesn't bother me as much as I expected. I mean, I guess if this game was very forgiving in the way you play then it'd be over very quickly. None of the levels are especially long so it's not a huge issue. Also, the way Jonathon and Elvis look with their hi-res textures is awful. Elvis is too wrinkly and Jon looks like he's about 85 years old.

It's not a bad game, it's just lacking and certain nice features I've gotten used to are missing. Still a fun game but GE007/PD are the two N64 games that are noticeably less good than how I remember them as being.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 198
Yeah PD was great fun, particularly the profile stats to go with the variety of weapons + their secondary functions and the addition of bots. Played it a few months back with my brother and his mate (we sunk hundreds of hours on it way back) and it was just ok, still enjoyable but as you say been superceded in a few ways over the years since.

Actually prefer the no regen options for the hardest levels, you have some leeway to get past certain bits but the challenge of being consistent and not making a major balls up through the level is preferable to me over checkpoints and infinite respawns where you just hope not to catch a bullshit moment to progress onwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 198
Been playing a lot of PUBG lately, still ropey performance-wise on Xbone but really like the format. I'm sure that game mode will get saturated soon enough but it's right up my street, still get a racing heart those times you get into the final circle or two trying to spot the other players. Also got hold of Elite Dangerous, for a game with no real point it's surprisingly addictive with all the styles of play you can have. Really like that you can play very involved with combat and such or just kind of autopilot some parts of it like exploring/transport missions while catching up on TV/whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7147
medgar wrote:
Been playing a lot of PUBG lately, still ropey performance-wise on Xbone but really like the format. I'm sure that game mode will get saturated soon enough but it's right up my street, still get a racing heart those times you get into the final circle or two trying to spot the other players. Also got hold of Elite Dangerous, for a game with no real point it's surprisingly addictive with all the styles of play you can have. Really like that you can play very involved with combat and such or just kind of autopilot some parts of it like exploring/transport missions while catching up on TV/whatever.

I'm taking a break from PUBG on Xbox atm, until they improve the performance a little more, was thinking of downloading the new test server for the weekend though to play on the new map.

Unfortunately it's only available it TPP though so I'm not sure if I'll bother. From what I hear the improvements on the test server have made it a lot smoother so I'm looking forward to them bringing them into the live servers soon at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4190
My buddy picked up a game called "Human Fall Flat" on steam the other day. We did the single player but as a co-op type game, which works pretty well.

Enjoyable game. It's like 8 levels but the sizing and content of the levels isn't split into 8ths. It's mostly physics based puzzles. Move a box from point A to point B through some obstacles kind of thing with a little platforming added in. Fun game and was decent value as it was about £7 or so. However, I found it a little annoying how the areas were laid out. Areas tend to be open to the point where it can be a little confusing as to where you want to go. Hard to solve a puzzle to get to somewhere when you don't know where you are trying to get to. It's done for asthetics and the game does look cool and nice but I think that openness was a little detrimental to the "not swimming pool off the player" factor. I also think a few bits were just a little too precise and more leeway in the puzzle should have been given once you have clearly worked out the general idea.

Enjoyable game. Not one I think I'll be fondly recalling years from now but was a pleasant enough way to kill an evening or two.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 890
Picked up assassin creed rogue remastered on ps4. On sale in the psn store. I never played this particular one slipped under my radar some how probably when I was playing bf3 nonstop any how. You play as the character Shay whom is a member of the brotherhood but is betrayed and goes rogue becoming a Templar hunting his own brothers.

I’ve played for about an hour so far game play is smooth (parkour, sword fighting, double assassinanations) Graphics are obviously previous gen but not horrible. it’s a remastered (copy & paste) of the same ps3 version.

The game is pretty much identical to black flag as you acquire a ship, become the captain and sail the sea’s. Your not quite labeled a pirate but you are doing pirate related objectives (at least so far, not sure if this is a constant throughout.) but if your looking for some assassin creed action to hold you over until the new game comes out later this year it’s worth the buy.

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7147
Mayhem wrote:
Picked up assassin creed rogue remastered on ps4. On sale in the psn store. I never played this particular one slipped under my radar some how probably when I was playing bf3 nonstop any how. You play as the character Shay whom is a member of the brotherhood but is betrayed and goes rogue becoming a Templar hunting his own brothers.

I’ve played for about an hour so far game play is smooth (parkour, sword fighting, double assassinanations) Graphics are obviously previous gen but not horrible. it’s a remastered (copy & paste) of the same ps3 version.

The game is pretty much identical to black flag as you acquire a ship, become the captain and sail the sea’s. Your not quite labeled a pirate but you are doing pirate related objectives (at least so far, not sure if this is a constant throughout.) but if your looking for some assassin creed action to hold you over until the new game comes out later this year it’s worth the buy.

The game is basically just Black Flag with different player models. It probably slipped under your radar because it was released the same time as unity.

Unity only released on the 'new' gen of console (Xbox One, PS4) however at the time a lot of people hadn't switched over and still only had a 360/PS3. So they released Rouge on the old gen and unity on the new gen.

Considering it's basically just something thrown together from Black Flag assets to appease those with the old consoles it's really good. But then I loved Black Flag (my username wasn't anything to with the game btw) so more of the same was welcome to me.

Massively excited for the new Fallout, rumours are that it could release this summer but nothing confirmed yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 890
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Picked up assassin creed rogue remastered on ps4. On sale in the psn store. I never played this particular one slipped under my radar some how probably when I was playing bf3 nonstop any how. You play as the character Shay whom is a member of the brotherhood but is betrayed and goes rogue becoming a Templar hunting his own brothers.

I’ve played for about an hour so far game play is smooth (parkour, sword fighting, double assassinanations) Graphics are obviously previous gen but not horrible. it’s a remastered (copy & paste) of the same ps3 version.

The game is pretty much identical to black flag as you acquire a ship, become the captain and sail the sea’s. Your not quite labeled a pirate but you are doing pirate related objectives (at least so far, not sure if this is a constant throughout.) but if your looking for some assassin creed action to hold you over until the new game comes out later this year it’s worth the buy.

The game is basically just Black Flag with different player models. It probably slipped under your radar because it was released the same time as unity.

Unity only released on the 'new' gen of console (Xbox One, PS4) however at the time a lot of people hadn't switched over and still only had a 360/PS3. So they released Rouge on the old gen and unity on the new gen.

Considering it's basically just something thrown together from Black Flag assets to appease those with the old consoles it's really good. But then I loved Black Flag (my username wasn't anything to with the game btw) so more of the same was welcome to me.

Massively excited for the new Fallout, rumours are that it could release this summer but nothing confirmed yet.


I had switched over and did get unity so that was how I missed it :thumbup:, So far so good I’m enjoying the game. I loved ac black flag so the similarities don’t bother me. It has a good story interesting to see how it developes.

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1808
Scotland has had an unusual amount of sunshine and heat lately. I love sunshine. There's a novelty in sunshine in Scotland which makes you feel obliged to go outside, or at least open the curtains.

Due to this my Witcher 3 time has been terrible. I went through the full game fairly quickly, but have been on the first DLC for about 2 months now and hardly moved. Looking forward for real Scottish weather to return, upon which I can go back to sitting in a dark room playing my PS4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 890
Going on NOW LIVE if anyone is interested



https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed7xKViiK ... e=youtu.be

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 890
Hey black flag since you like ac4, have you seen “skull & bones” Ubisoft pirate game coming out


https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 9YYYVG0YQI

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7147
Mayhem wrote:
Hey black flag since you like ac4, have you seen “skull & bones” Ubisoft pirate game coming out


https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 9YYYVG0YQI

Yeah I'll wait to see more but it got my attention. It's basically the exact same combat at AC4 with more in depth cannons etc.

I feel part of the charm of AC4 was the open world and the way you could explore it though and this looks a lot more mission based.

The list of games shown over the last month/at E3 I'm interested in so far is:
1) Fallout 76 - definitely picking up despite being a little disappointed in the 'always online' route.
2) Elder Scrolls 6 - definitely getting
3) Starfield - almost definitely getting
4) Battlefield 5 - definitely getting
5) Forza Horizon 4 - may get
6) The Division 2 - may get
7) Cyberpunk 2077 - may get
8 ) Dying Light 2 - may get
9) Session (skateboarding game) - almost definitely getting
10) Vigor (survival game from Arma/Day Z developers) - probably getting

Luckily most of those come out next year or later!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 890
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Hey black flag since you like ac4, have you seen “skull & bones” Ubisoft pirate game coming out


https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 9YYYVG0YQI

Yeah I'll wait to see more but it got my attention. It's basically the exact same combat at AC4 with more in depth cannons etc.

I feel part of the charm of AC4 was the open world and the way you could explore it though and this looks a lot more mission based.

The list of games shown over the last month/at E3 I'm interested in so far is:
1) Fallout 76 - definitely picking up despite being a little disappointed in the 'always online' route.
2) Elder Scrolls 6 - definitely getting
3) Starfield - almost definitely getting
4) Battlefield 5 - definitely getting
5) Forza Horizon 4 - may get
6) The Division 2 - may get
7) Cyberpunk 2077 - may get
8 ) Dying Light 2 - may get
9) Session (skateboarding game) - almost definitely getting
10) Vigor (survival game from Arma/Day Z developers) - probably getting

Luckily most of those come out next year or later!


Skull and bones does seem to have missions along with open world free roam going to different pirate islands with villages. But we shall see. Looks good though.

I’m looking forward to
-SpiderMan (ps4) getting
- The division 2 (ps4) maybe
- Black ops 4 (ps4) maybe (not a cod fan but I can’t do another retro battlefield shooter. Bf hasn’t been deliverying the goods imo and I hope when they come back to more modern day era it re-establishes its
Dominance in FPS)
- skull & bones (ps4) pending content
- Ac odessey (ps4) getting
- Smash bro’s (switch) getting
- Star link (switch) maybe

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7147
Yeah I'm half interested in BO4 but I'd have to see some actual gameplay and probably wait for reviews first.

I did think Battlefield should have done a modern one this time and then a WW2 next game instead of stacking two pretty similar games next to each other. Especially as they work on a two year timeline, it will probably be 7 years inbetween modern BF games (2013-2020) and that's if they don't do a Vietnam/Cold War era game first as they were rumoured to be doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4190
I was really hoping that, not unlike Fallout 4 a few years ago, the new Elderscrolls game might have ended with a "coming November". Skyrim still absolutely stands up as being of the most playable games of all time. If they add in the stuff like not needing to load cities sepatately (no load door between town and main world) and it'd be nice. Skyrim has mods for that so I assume it's possible. Add in some more customisation and perhaps add in a system not unlike Fallout 4's settlements and y'all might never hear from me again. I probably played 400 hours (I think that might be conservative actually...) of Fallout 4 and probably half of it was trying to build settlements and make them look pretty etc.


Picked up State of Decay 2. It's okay. I'm overall pretty positive about it. The areas are bigger than SoD and there are a lot more options. I think it could do with a little more micromanagement stuff in some ways. It takes a while to load up but very few loading screens once you get in. I played with my buddy and there seemed to be some problems with the off-host player getting brief screen freeze and just being a little more jittery. Looks substantially nicer than SoD, combat seems almost identical, concept is roughly the same except I don't think there is a focus on the escape bit so much in this game. Some of the decisions about enemy spawn is a bit irritating. I feel like sometimes you get 10+ zombies appear from absolutely nowhere. However, all said after probably ~10 hours of playing the game, I've found it enjoyable. Will probably be playing for at least a couple of weeks.




Re: E3

Haven't seen but I heard some interesting things about Walking Dead Season 4, which is going to be the finale for the story that has been arcing over the first 3 seasons. I'm getting this game. No way I'm not. I'm surprisingly attached to Clementine as a character. I was a little gutted S3 wasn't a full on Clem game like S2. Anyway, short of all the reviews saying it's a total glitchfest or the price being stupid, I will be buying.

New AC looks cool. Probably more of a game I'll pick up when it's discounted. Obviously, that may change given I've already finished 4 AC games in the last few months so I'm still a little burned out on it.

CoD/BF don't interest me. Go a little into the online shooter thing about Call of Duty 4 and MW2 time, but I can't face the thought of it these days. They never seem worth it for singleplayer alone, though I did really enjoy MW2, Black Ops and especially, CoD4. Odd how FPS stays popular but we seem to cycle from WW2 to Cold War to Modern Day to Near Future in these games, guess it makes sense in some regard.

I heard about a new pokemon game... Probably a purchase. That said, I bought Battel Revolution for the Wii thinking it was XD/Colosseum style from blind purchase so will look in to.

Division 2 - Not sure. Enjoyed Division for a time but the MMO-style, especially with a slow grind and the idea of PvP being somewhat forced (at least in the early days, once you maxed out there wasn't much to do other than repeat missions or Dark Zone for loot) it's not my jam. Hate to sound like an old fart, but I don't have the time and energy to do that, even if I wanted to. However, was fun for a bit and so I'll keep an eye on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4190
The Resi 2 stuff I saw looked cool. The gameplay looks like an ideal mix of Resi and Resi 4 style gameplay. Less actiony but with the improved combat. Probably a day-1 purchase for me if it keeps looking as good for me.

As for State of Decay 2 I have some issues after playing it more. Xbox One Version.
It lacks content. Okay its a £25 release rather than full price but even still. Yes, it has about 3x as much going on map-wise as the first, but the story missions are lacking and everything else is just grinding resources/influence/survivors to move on up, repeat 2-3 times and you are done. Nothing has been especially difficult. I've lost 2 people in 2.5 playthroughs (my buddy bought it so I'm mostly playing to help him along now). One of those was because I went for a pee and the game has no pause and I was in my base feeling safe.
You can't ever build everything and max everything out. That's kinda the point but also I'd feel happier if I could "100%" a run, or feel close to that.
It's basically designed for online coop but off-host is awful with frequent slowdown moments.
The final missions vary a fair bit, at least between the Builder and Sheriff endings and they are cool, I just wish the game had a little more going on.


It's a good fun game for an evening or maybe 10 hours, but overall a bit of a let down. Not enough of a step up from SoD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4190
Life Is Strange 2 confirmed by DONTNOD,

Loved Life is Strange - probably in my top 10 or 20 games of all time.
The prequel - Before the Storm was pretty sweet too, though not quite as good. I till need to finish the epilogue chapter.

I must say though, I don't care for the episodic release style this kind of game, similar-ish to Telltale's generally excellent games. I'd rather blast through in as short a time as possible, especially when it's the kind of game where little things often have an impact later in the game and I want to remember all the details. So I'll put it off until all 5 chapters are out. Somewhat true with DLC packs. Took me well over a year to do the Fallout 4 DLC (which, stupidly, I paid for when buying the base game) because by the time it was coming out, I had played the game to... well, not death as I went back to it but maybe a coma type situation. But at least those games have a full story within them and the DLCs are normally self contained mini-stories. Anyway, just a bit of a gripe from me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group