planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RIP Vic Edelbrock Jr.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:25 pm 

Rather than put this in the Memorial thread, I thought perhaps this was the best way to let those who may not have heard that automotive performance legend, Vic Edelbrock Jr. passed away at the age of 80 after complications from a cold.

Many people tend to associate Edelbrock with drag racing only, but that would be a mistake. The aftermarket performance parts company he built after taking over from his father is one of the largest such companies in the world, and one of the most influential. Edelbrock parts have found their way onto race cars and street cars in almost any way you can imagine, but it was the Edelbrock intake manifolds that really took the company to the highest levels.

I remember my first experience with Edelbrock products back in the '70s when I put an Edelbrock high rise intake manifold (along with some other "goodies" such as a big Holley carb) on my Mercury Comet GT. Not only did the car perform at a surprisingly high level for a daily driver, it was great fun as a high school teacher when the kids would see under the hood!

I was fortunate to get to meet Vic Jr. a couple/three years ago at COTA where he was competing in the US Vintage Car Racing National Championships. Vic was driving a nasty Mustang Boss 302 in the classic Trans Am classification. His daughter was driving the old Smokey Yunick black and gold Camaro in the same division. I was looking over the cars when Vic came out of the trailer and came over to my brother and I and asked if we had any questions or if we would like for him to open the hoods for us. Of course we said "yes" and he took us through both cars and another car that was in the paddock that they brought as well. Vic was that kind of guy, a class act. One needs to remember that Vic would have been in his late 70s, yet he was still racing a powerful car on road course, not a straight line dragstip as many would have thought.

RIP, Vic, you will be missed. Thank you for all you have done for the "gearheads" amongst us. May your family and friends find solace in the knowledge that you lived a great life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:52 pm 

Nice post, Blake.

I'll be among those who have never heard of him, even though I do have an interest in American motorsports. Might try and find out some more though - seems like an interesting guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

He was quite a guy, argentum. I think you will be surprised when you do your research on him and the company.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm 

Man, I hadn't heard about that. Sad news the man and his family were huge in the hot rod world for years.

I went to school with one of his relatives (grand nephew or something) and had an Edelbrock intake manifold on the 350 SBC in my '73 Nova back in high school.