planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 am 

Saw Sin City 2 yesterday. If you liked the first one you'll like this one as well, although IMO it wasn't quite as good.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 am 

Covalent wrote:
Saw Sin City 2 yesterday. If you liked the first one you'll like this one as well, although IMO it wasn't quite as good.

I have still not even see the first one,is it worth watching?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am 

Katie PI wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I thought it was a great film. If you appreciate the comic it is based on, and the style it is both written and shot, it's a really stylish flick. Written and directed by the original comic book writer Frank Miller, so you can tell it should be good to the original source material. Co-directed by Rodriguez and Tarantino (who had nothing to do with the writing, so he wasn't able to mess the film up!) gives it the edge that always comes across in their own films. And just looking at the cast should give you another reason to want to watch it.

The whole film really gives off a great 30's American Noir feel, mixed with modern times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 am 

minchy wrote:
Katie PI wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I thought it was a great film. If you appreciate the comic it is based on, and the style it is both written and shot, it's a really stylish flick. Written and directed by the original comic book writer Frank Miller, so you can tell it should be good to the original source material. Co-directed by Rodriguez and Tarantino (who had nothing to do with the writing, so he wasn't able to mess the film up!) gives it the edge that always comes across in their own films. And just looking at the cast should give you another reason to want to watch it.

The whole film really gives off a great 30's American Noir feel, mixed with modern times.

I think I will have to check Netflix out to see if it's on there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Has anyone seen Sin City 2 yet?

Yes.

Cheers :-P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 pm 

minchy wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yes.

:lol:

you sure you're a young lady? That's totally a dad answer!

For my boyfriend's sake I hope so! :lol:

@Black_Flag_11 I have seen it! I really enjoyed it (apart from being very ill and missing a chunk - pardon the pun). It wasn't quite up to the same standards as the first if you ask me but still worth a watch if you liked the first. I thought the Gordon-Levitt plot was interesting and probably enjoyed that most. The Dwight part of the story was really cool and explained a lot (though I was glad I'd seen the first one the previous day because I'm not sure I would have made the connection otherwise). I wasn't sure the Alba/Willis story really helped the film in any way. It seemed slightly forced to try and get the big names in it again. Other than that my main problem was there felt like a lot more colour in this one. I really enjoyed the first one for only having slight flashes but this one had slightly too much for me.

Either way, I did enjoy it and would recommend anyone that has seen the first and enjoyed it to catch it if they can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 pm 

Katie PI wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I'd say it is worth watching, just for the way it is shot. That doesn't apply to the other film The Spirit, which is shot the same way, but sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 am 

Rachie_D wrote:
minchy wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yes.

@Black_Flag_11 I have seen it! I really enjoyed it (apart from being very ill and missing a chunk - pardon the pun). It wasn't quite up to the same standards as the first if you ask me but still worth a watch if you liked the first. I thought the Gordon-Levitt plot was interesting and probably enjoyed that most. The Dwight part of the story was really cool and explained a lot (though I was glad I'd seen the first one the previous day because I'm not sure I would have made the connection otherwise). I wasn't sure the Alba/Willis story really helped the film in any way. It seemed slightly forced to try and get the big names in it again. Other than that my main problem was there felt like a lot more colour in this one. I really enjoyed the first one for only having slight flashes but this one had slightly too much for me.

Either way, I did enjoy it and would recommend anyone that has seen the first and enjoyed it to catch it if they can.

Hmm... been years since I saw the first time and now I feel I missed something... what was the Dwight connection? It also took me a while to figure out that the guy who played the president in 24 was playing Michael Clarke Duncan's role in this one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 am 

Covalent wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
minchy wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yes.

Hmm... been years since I saw the first time and now I feel I missed something... what was the Dwight connection? It also took me a while to figure out that the guy who played the president in 24 was playing Michael Clarke Duncan's role in this one!

Dwight was the Clive Owen character in the first film. There's a bit where Brittany Murphy says something about him coming round with his 'new face' so the story was about why he has to have the face lift. It might have been really obvious to be honest but it took me a while to figure out xD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 am 

Rachie_D wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
minchy wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Yes.

Dwight was the Clive Owen character in the first film. There's a bit where Brittany Murphy says something about him coming round with his 'new face' so the story was about why he has to have the face lift. It might have been really obvious to be honest but it took me a while to figure out xD

Ah thanks, did not make that connection :blush: Have to watch the first one again ASAP!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:11 pm 

Sin City 2 was sh*te. Utter sh*te. In my opinion. Slow, stories that didn't add anything and characters that didn't grow on you. I also missed the original Miho, no disrespect to the new actress. There were another two characters missing, as they has passed away sadly, plus Clive Owen, who had conflicting schedules, so Brolin ended up doing the "new face" scene too.

Spoiler (click to show)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:17 pm 

CC78AMG wrote:
The best movie I watched this year was Captain America: The winter soldier didn't know the Captain kicked soo much donkey. But the biggest shock of the year was Guardians of the Galaxy. When I saw the trailer I thought this movie was gonna suck but when I watched the movie it was amazing. Haven't seem a fun space flim since Star Wars.

Awesome, I thought it would be horrible, but it all blended just fine. Too much comedy was not a problem for some reason. It just worked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 am 

You guys didn't see anything...

Last edited by AngusWolfe on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:32 am 

^Wrong thread? :lol:

Watched the latest X-Men movie, better than most of them so far IMO!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:56 pm 

Covalent wrote:
^Wrong thread? :lol:

Watched the latest X-Men movie, better than most of them so far IMO!

Yep, meant for the joke thread :/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:02 am 

Anyone seen Locke? Heard good things about it

Got a long flight this weekend, wanting to rent some films for the iPad!

Keep Fighting Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 pm 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
Anyone seen Locke? Heard good things about it

Got a long flight this weekend, wanting to rent some films for the iPad!

I liked it. But you will need more movies if you have a long flight as it is a really short movie. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm 

Watched Trance at the weekend. Meh... Tried too hard to be a Christopher Nolan movie. Boyle should just stick to being Boyle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 pm 

Has "God Help the Girl" been released in UK yet? I have conflicting reports which say that it hasn't or that I've blinked and missed it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 am 

flyboy10 wrote:
Has "God Help the Girl" been released in UK yet? I have conflicting reports which say that it hasn't or that I've blinked and missed it.

From wikipedia, I don't think it has a UK release date.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55896-belle-s ... announced/
In North America, the film will be released September 5 in theaters and on demand via Amplify. In the UK, the film is out August 16 via Metrodrome. God Help the Girl: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is out August 18 in the UK and September 2 in North America via Milan.

So I'm not sure which to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 am 

mac_d wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

From wikipedia, I don't think it has a UK release date.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55896-belle-s ... announced/
In North America, the film will be released September 5 in theaters and on demand via Amplify. In the UK, the film is out August 16 via Metrodrome. God Help the Girl: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is out August 18 in the UK and September 2 in North America via Milan.

So I'm not sure which to believe.

Thanks. As long as nobody can recall having seen it while I was asleep or out of the country ;) Maybe they'll let the radio stations play the complete soundtrack before hoping to tempt people in - or maybe it had really bad reviews in the USA/Canada and it will go straight to DVD in UK?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 am 

I've finally seen the new Godzilla film and I wasn't disappointed at all!

It was much more a homage to the original Japanese films in the story and the monsters than the previous Hollywood attempt. Good special effects and really good sound effects for the monsters (especially the not-quite-seen-the-whole-thing-yet Godzilla rumbles). I think it's safe to say that anyone who doesn't like, the Japanese monster film genre isn't for you. Great film!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm 

Question: Do I need to watch the preivious X-Men movies before watching Days Of Future Past?
I haven't seen any of them, but the trailer looks good on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:11 am 

Mr-E wrote:
Question: Do I need to watch the preivious X-Men movies before watching Days Of Future Past?

No, but if you know the characters from the comics or cartoons it helps. Also they're all good movies so worth watching anyway :]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:01 pm 

minchy wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

No, but if you know the characters from the comics or cartoons it helps. Also they're all good movies so worth watching anyway :]

I watched it yesterday, and you are spot on. Didn't know the characters and that was irritating, but other than that a pretty entertaining movie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:06 pm 

Mr-E wrote:

I'd watch the other ones and ignore Days of Future past personally :/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 am 

I found it rather funny that in Days of Future Past, Bishop is a pretty significant mutant power but barely got any time or explanation. Admittedly, once you know he can project a consciousness back in time that is about all you need to know but still.

I'd have thought the basics of each character was pretty well known (though that might be because I watched the Xmen cartoon when I was young so had a rough idea of the various roles before the films started.) but really I thought the bulk of it was self contained. You can probably work out the Xmen in the 1960s bits without too much hassle. And the future versions too. You only really need to know Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto. Everyone else pretty much falls into one side or the other.

I'd have liked more Ice Man, he was one of my favourites as a kid.

Overall, I'm not that much a fan of the XMen films. I'm not that much a fan of the Xmen (while my taste in comic books is rather hit and miss compared to what appears to be popular opinion, I thought Dark Pheonix has to be the most over-rated comic book I have ever read) in a wider sense though. They did some cool stuff but conversely they did some awful stuff too. They also did, basically, an origins movie for Wolverine in X2. Then another one in the Wolverine Origins film.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:46 pm 

Cracked.com has an article up about the future of superhero movies and it has got me thinking.

This is their timeline of the movies currently announced for superhero films in the next 6 years:

Within the article they make the point that when Iron Man came out they hadn't announced the rest of the first stage of Avengers films (Iron Man + 2, Thor, Hulk (which had been out already), Captain America and Avengers Assemble). So the end when Sam Jackson mentions it, it was a cool surprise and made people go "ooooo" (I imagine).

It was unlikely that any of the core Avengers were going to be killed off, but it was possible because we didn't know 100% for sure. Now, we pretty much know there is definitely no risk to a number of characters - barring the unlikely outcome they recast some of their core roles.

Further to it, I must agree that it seems rather odd how far ahead all these things are being greenlit. The studios seemingly feel that superhero movies are all but a license to print money. I must say I expect we'll begin to see lazier writing, lazier choices for what characters they will use and we end up knowing that a star has a 3 picture deal etc and so they are not going to be killed. This basically makes the movie a little pointless.

Maybe they will be wrong but we've had so many superhero type films and now we have (Green) Arrow, Flash, Gotham (admittedly minus Batman) and Constantine TV shows. Now, Arrow is fantastic and has been done very well. I've seen a lot of good things about Flash too. But they are really, really saturating the market overall. I expect the bubble is going to have to burst. I really think that a single poor film could hurt the genre and possibly kill it off... to be re-booted in 10 years. I thought Guardians might end up doing this but it was received spectacularly well. I suppose Green Lantern was rather a bomb and survived but I can't help but think that delayed the current DC Justice League film set they are planning. I like Superhero films, and I've really enjoyed the Marvel Cinematic Uninverse or whatever they call it. But this bubble will burst sometime soon I think.

Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-re ... troy-them/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:54 pm 

Ninja Turtles. Just... no. Avoid it like you would bubonic plague. In fact, more so. This movie can't be treated by a course of antibiotics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:24 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Ninja Turtles. Just... no. Avoid it like you would bubonic plague. In fact, more so. This movie can't be treated by a course of antibiotics.

Agree, it was like Transformers with turtles... except more lens flares.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm 

Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

The thing is, it could have been so much more.

I was disappointed. Oh well

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:24 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

But it has Foxy Megan (Megan Fox) no?

Can't wait seeing Interstellar. Looks epic!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Blurgh I can't stand her...

Going to see Interstellar on Sunday, can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

Star Wars news!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/06/s ... -breaking/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:41 am 

Covalent wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Covalent wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Blurgh I can't stand her...

Going to see Interstellar on Sunday, can't wait!

She was actually kind of ok. Not as bad as she was in Transformers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:40 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:

I really think she is a mediocre actress who gets paid basically because she is a good looking woman. On a scale of crap to Meryl Streep (winner of 2 best actress and one best supporting actress Oscars), I'd rate her just a little higher than Hollyoaks.

Speaking of Transformers, and specifically now of the awful Age of Extinction, what in the blue hell was the need for the plot between the racing driver and the underage daughter? It's a bit creepy to begin with, and especially creepy when the guy pulls out a laminated card he seemingly carries around everywhere with him explaining why he can shag an underage bird without going to jail. And this guy is basically a hero? CinemaSins (a youtube channel that is fantastic) pointed this out and the more I think about it the more it seems really, really odd. It adds nothing to the plot. They could have made him younger or her older and avoided this easily. It's a really odd thing to have in the plot.

(I know the card is probably since he is doing the underage girl and it makes sense to have it, but it really comes across as rather terrifyingly creepy).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:53 pm 

mac_d wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

I really think she is a mediocre actress who gets paid basically because she is a good looking woman. On a scale of crap to Meryl Streep (winner of 2 best actress and one best supporting actress Oscars), I'd rate her just a little higher than Hollyoaks.

Speaking of Transformers, and specifically now of the awful Age of Extinction, what in the blue hell was the need for the plot between the racing driver and the underage daughter? It's a bit creepy to begin with, and especially creepy when the guy pulls out a laminated card he seemingly carries around everywhere with him explaining why he can shag an underage bird without going to jail. And this guy is basically a hero? CinemaSins (a youtube channel that is fantastic) pointed this out and the more I think about it the more it seems really, really odd. It adds nothing to the plot. They could have made him younger or her older and avoided this easily. It's a really odd thing to have in the plot.

(I know the card is probably since he is doing the underage girl and it makes sense to have it, but it really comes across as rather terrifyingly creepy).

I'm with you, I meant for her as April O'Neil. Although, I always had April as a ginger in my mind...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:57 am 

SchumieRules wrote:

I'm with you, I meant for her as April O'Neil. Although, I always had April as a ginger in my mind...

I've not seen TMNT, but April was always ginger in the cartoons! I know it's not a defining characteristic but it bugs me a little when they just ignore stuff like that.

Tonight is a special night. One of my very close friends and I have a thing about watching the excellent, if also somewhat nonsensical bollocks film that is "The Core". We once watched it together and both loved it. And now have a somewhat weird habit of doing a running commentary over it, acting bits out and we even bring our own peaches and hair spray (that will make sense if you remember the film). It's pretty ridiculous behaviour but so much fun. We started doing this in high school. I also love her dearly and haven't seen her in quite a while.

To review: the film is total BS. The plot is mediocre, the details are ridiculous but it falls into the "so bad, it's good" category (in my head it goes (Great, Good, Bad, So bad it's good, So bad it's just bad) with enjoyment dropping over the first three, spiking in the 4th again and dropping for the final one). Just don't take it too seriously and I think it's great. I don't know if I'd have liked it if not seeing it with her for the first time, but this film will forever hold a special place in my heart.

In fact, it's her birthday soon. I'm going to head into Town and see if I can find it on blu-ray for her.

I've been a little down in the dumps lately, but this has cheered me up to no end.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:29 pm 

Turtles wasn't a bad movie IMHO... But it could have been a lot better than it was. I really liked the CGI of the turtles and Michelangelo's character was the highlight of the movie for me.

Really enjoyed Godzilla. It's a lot quieter than you'd expect from a movie with three giant, prehistoric monsters in it... But it works and works well.

Watched something called 'Getaway' the other night. Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez and Jon Voight... Decent movie, some really cool vehicular stunts (including a rather butt clenching single cut chase sequence).... But it's completely ruined by an ending that is just completely moronic and unintelligible...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:15 am 

SDLRob wrote:
Turtles wasn't a bad movie IMHO... But it could have been a lot better than it was. I really liked the CGI of the turtles and Michelangelo's character was the highlight of the movie for me.

Really enjoyed Godzilla. It's a lot quieter than you'd expect from a movie with three giant, prehistoric monsters in it... But it works and works well.

Watched something called 'Getaway' the other night. Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez and Jon Voight... Decent movie, some really cool vehicular stunts (including a rather butt clenching single cut chase sequence).... But it's completely ruined by an ending that is just completely moronic and unintelligible...

The elevator scene was hilarious!